PDA

View Full Version : More Roofjack questions

jhillvt
02-12-2012, 09:34 AM
I'm in the same boat, mad dash to finish. Roofjack arrived yesterday morning, havenever installed one before. 8" for 6/12 roof pitch. One person told me to put it over the wood roofing and under the metal, another told me to put it over the corrugated metal roof. If under the metal, how do you keep it from leaking ? Any advice and experience anyone has had would be of a great help...

Flat Lander Sugaring
02-13-2012, 05:24 AM
im gonna put my roof jack over my metal roofing and silicone the heck out of it onthe top side and down the sides leave bottom open. Im not syaing this is the correct way but its how im doing it

twitch
02-13-2012, 08:07 AM
That is what i decided to do I bent down three sides and cut the notch on the top part so the the raised part of the roofing will fit in the slot. and put the goop to it.

im gonna put my roof jack over my metal roofing and silicone the heck out of it onthe top side and down the sides leave bottom open. Im not syaing this is the correct way but its how im doing it

vtwoody
02-13-2012, 08:15 AM
I'm in the same boat, mad dash to finish. Roofjack arrived yesterday morning, havenever installed one before. 8" for 6/12 roof pitch. One person told me to put it over the wood roofing and under the metal, another told me to put it over the corrugated metal roof. If under the metal, how do you keep it from leaking ? Any advice and experience anyone has had would be of a great help...

Picture in your head rain falling on the roof and running down it. Install roofjack so layers highest on roof overlap layers lower on roof....and a product called "through the roof" is, in my experience of roofing "patches" and coatings is the best, by far....comes in a tube or a pail, can be installed on wet surfaces - better than silicone!

mrnorthshore
02-13-2012, 08:55 PM
just installed my 2 roof jacks last week. My jacks were not center mount but on the side. We cut the hole the size we needed through the plywood, Then nailed the roof jack Just on the top side. Then brought the metal roof panel up ( from the bottom ) just past the top curve of the roof jack, slide it under the bottom of your roof jack, mark out and cut the opening in the metal . Then we brought the upper sheet of metal roofing down from the peak just past the bottom of the roof jack, so that the 2 sheets of metal roofing are overlaped. Ours over laped about 12" -14". we siliconed where the roofjack overlaps the metal roof. This is the way I was told to do it from a roofing co. Hope this helps.

jhillvt
02-14-2012, 10:48 AM
Thank you all for your thoughts and ideas. We've decided to remove the metal, install the roof jack, overlapping the lower metal, reinstall the upper metal over the roof jack overlapping the lower... Thanks again this has been of great help !

M & M maple syrup
02-15-2012, 06:46 PM
Jim, good luck this year with the new outfit.

Mapledawg
02-25-2012, 10:04 AM
Thinking of patenting the trash can roofjack. LOL and had fun. Used a new five gallon galvanized trash can from lowes. Turned upside down, cut a 10 in hole with cutter for a tight fit, cut the roof angle at base, notched for metal roof overlap, did same w/lid for second level ring cap, fit like a glove. stove pipe sealer and roofing cement underneath, sealed down, then sealed with same. Bingo, roofjack for 15 bucks! Looks great and a conversation piece...Nobody believes it when they see it! Every shugahowse needs ingenuity. No time for pics now, maybe later. Good luck