PDA

View Full Version : Tubing freezing- issues?

SevenCreeksSap
02-11-2012, 06:50 PM
So we're having a bit of a cold snap with looks like 5-6 days where it may not get above freezing. with gravity tubing I've noticed they dont all drain and some of my incorrectly installed long drops seem to stay full until the next push of sap. ( going to fix that soon). Is the freeze likely to cause issues on lines or spots that dont drain completely, due to expansion?

I'm wondering if I'll have cracked tees or even split lines. they seem pretty tough.

michiganfarmer2
02-12-2012, 05:22 AM
Ive never had any tubing or tees crack, but Ive heard of it happening

sugarman3
02-12-2012, 05:47 AM
No need to worry,even though the temp are below freezing,if the sun shines,the tubing will draw the warmth from the sun,i have never had any crack or break from the cold

maple flats
02-12-2012, 05:54 AM
You'll be OK. Freezing is normal, if conditions are ideal they will freeze every night. Occasionally the freezing will push a tap loose but very rarely will it break one. This is why we should check the lines daily. If you find a leaker next thaw, just tap it in slightly tighter, don't over do it. If you get a cracked fitting, change it. I believe most cracks from freezing are just finding taps that were not set properly, maybe a off angle hit or glancing blow. Never try to drain the lines to avoid this freezing, that lets in micro-organisims which end up causing the tap hole to dry up sooner.

maple flats
02-12-2012, 05:58 AM
michiganfarmer2, 1000 taps on 12 acres is well above normal maximum density.

oneoldsap
02-12-2012, 06:36 AM

Actually that's just about perfect ! 80 Maples per acre is considered optimum , or used to be anyways .

The Sweet Spot
02-12-2012, 07:58 AM
Hey Michiganfarmer2 where are you located in relation to Travers. I am about 13 miles N.E. of Petoskey I have 40 acres and just getting started.

michiganfarmer2
02-12-2012, 08:43 AM
IM in Kingsley. ANy time you wanna look at my tubing set up you are more than welcome. Ive been reading, taking to people, and improving my tubing for almost 10 years.

michiganfarmer2
02-12-2012, 08:45 AM
Ill count my taps at the end of the season. Ill try to remember to post back here and let you know what I have

The Sweet Spot
02-12-2012, 09:07 AM
Are you in the hills or on flatter land? I am getting ready to install tubing and live off the grid. I am thinking of using a internal combustion engine to run a vaccume next year, probibly propain. I am in the hills and would love to visit your site. Thanks for the invite Troy

SevenCreeksSap
02-12-2012, 05:37 PM
Thanks for the replies. I'm taking a week off after next week and will be rerouting some tubing, adding a little more mainline and probably adding some taps. I'll check them all and tap in if needed. hope the weather is right. a whole week off to boil !!

red maples
02-13-2012, 11:05 AM
tubing all maple fitting etc. usually no problem. But I did have a PVC valve crack in 1/2 last year. So do be aware of that. otherwise you should be all set!!! most of the plastic tubing has some give to it. PVC does not!!!