PDA

View Full Version : My attempt at a homemade evaporator

Western MD Mapler
02-11-2012, 06:45 PM
This is my homemade evaporator made from a 55 gallon drum, an old kitchen sink, and some 6 inch flue pipe I had laying around the barn. This was my first time welding so please don't be to harsh. In all this thing cost me 6 bucks for some hinges. Any thoughts on how to improve it would be greatly appreciated. Oh sink was mig welded by my neighbor in exchange for a pint of syrup. Sorry of video is sideways it was recorded on my phone.Check out this video on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxWaHeoKKXI&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Sent from my iPhone

sniperdodo
02-11-2012, 06:58 PM
Thats a pretty cool little rig you have there. Couldn't ask for anything better for 6 bucks, Great Job

Starting Small
02-11-2012, 07:03 PM
I think it looks great. I could not tell but if it is not lined with firebrick you may want to. Just to protect the barrel and extend its usable life. You will have not problem getting your money back thats for sure!

Western MD Mapler
02-11-2012, 07:11 PM
Thanks guys. Small it isnt bricked yet but my dad had some bricks out of an old stove he is bringing tomorrow. Also there is a 1&1/2 slit in bottom under fire grates to allow air in and ash build up to fall onto floor. Brick will protect barrel and also create better boil I think. Cause its containing heat under sink(pan):lol:

SevenCreeksSap
02-11-2012, 08:27 PM
I think we have a new Maple addict.

Looks better than the barrel evap I tried. I wonder how much bigger it'll be next year.

backyard sugaring
02-12-2012, 07:34 AM
Western maybe you can put a ramp inside to the stack which would force the heat onto the pans. You can do it with a couple bags of sand. Just a thought. Good luck. It is great to see more people join this insane hobby. Lee

Stamford sugarmaker
02-12-2012, 07:40 AM
I like your ingenuity! It's fun messing around with stuff like this, right?

Peter

KenWP
02-12-2012, 09:49 AM
My first year was using a SS sink and a barrel on it's end with a perfect fit hole cut in the top and a grate built under it to keep the fire close to the pan.I made almost 20 gallons of syrup with it .The hole was cut so the sink only slipped into it up to the little tabs so I never got the burn line and could keep the level of sap at 1 1/2 to 2 inches. With a good preheater it boiled almost 3 gallons a hour.
Picked up most of my sinks on the side of the road for free also.

Pete S
02-12-2012, 11:12 AM
If you can't get enough fire bricks, I used commons for quite some time. The issue we had was you couldn't get close at all w/o roastin' your legs, and other parts. The installation of bricks in my first homemade rig seemed to make a difference in the boil, but maybe it was just my enthusiasm.

You WILL NOT have any greater reward and fun with what you're doing.

Father & Son
02-12-2012, 02:41 PM
sorry, wrong thread Please Delete

Western MD Mapler
02-13-2012, 08:46 AM
Yeah I am definitely an addict! I am thinking about using a sheet of durock as a ramp. Firebricks go in tonite. Thanks for the positive encouragement.