PDA

View Full Version : hot spots in the arch

threesaps
02-11-2012, 07:20 AM
does anyone "know" what causes a very hot spot on the syrup pan?

sapbrush
02-11-2012, 08:39 AM
hi well several things can cause it, depth of sap running in pan is usually and inch and a half to two inches, and if the pan is not reversable the sand or niter in the pan can definatley cause that hot spot jim

threesaps
02-11-2012, 01:15 PM
im pretty sure i have plenty of fluid in the pan.... its more like a blow torch in a few spots, ....its not a warped pan... gotta be something with turbulence in the arch???

Daren
02-13-2012, 06:20 AM
I had a very strange thing happen to my front pan last year and I wonder if anyone else has ever had this happen to them. There is a nearly perfectly round spot that looks like someone put a beer can down on the bottom of the pan and boiled with it in place. I noticed it looking like a large niter area and when I cleaned the pan at the end of the season, it is still visible. The shine from the stainless is less bright there now. There is no warpage to the pain in that spot and it occured in the second section on the right as you look at the pan from the front. It is about 3 to 4 inches from the rear of the pan where it meets the flue pan. I have never put anything in the pan and I have never put anything other than wood in the firebox. Any ideas?