PDA

View Full Version : wirelss mainline with vac?

spencer11
02-10-2012, 05:02 PM
i am planning on around 100 taps on 3/4" mainline with a vacuum next year. i would reall like to make it wireless if i can. think it would work? i have pleanty of other trees to weave it through and to use strapping on. like rapitube, just regular mainline. any ideas? i have seen gravity wireless mainline just not one with a vacuum. it would be with a gast 155o pump and a bender releaser.

spencer

danno
02-10-2012, 06:57 PM
How long will the mainline be? It will run tighter with wire, but you can probably do it for 100 taps. I would not weave it between trees, leave the weaving for the lats. I'd run the mainline straight as possible, use a chinese finger at either end of the main and winch tight. Than use those trees to side tie. You can use rabitube stapping. I have one section of regular mainline not on wire - it's a 300' section across my yard from the woods to my sugarhouse. I like to side tie this section with ratchet straps. If the straps aren't long enough to go around the side trees, use rope from tree to strap and ratchet tight.

Just saw that you plan to expand. If you are expanding in the same area and thus hanging more mainline, I'd use either rapitube or high tensile/mainline.

spencer11
02-10-2012, 07:01 PM
there will be 2-250' runs and a 300 something foot run. and i dont plan on expanding in the same area. 100 taps on vac tops. why not run it through the trees? i thought it would make it tighter? thanks

spencer

02-10-2012, 09:01 PM
I put up wire on my 400 ft run and I think that the ire is helping a lot to keep it tight besides for that small of runs it would not be much harder

spencer11
02-10-2012, 09:31 PM
i think im gonna try it without wire. could i try it wothout wire and if it dosent work could i put wire on it?

spencer

Greenwich Maple Man
02-10-2012, 09:41 PM
I wouldn't see why not. Give it a try !

spencer11
02-10-2012, 09:45 PM
while i guess i'll give it a try this summer. i hope it works!

spencer

maple flats
02-10-2012, 10:08 PM
I've run all 3/4" and 1" lines the last 2 years without wire. I like it. I have runs as long a 200' 1" then 1000' 3/4" for a total of 1200' long, others are 4-500' and up, and most are 800'+. I anchor one end to a tree using a grip (chines finger) and run as straight as I can while I make sure there are trees each side to side tie to. At the other end I again anchor to a tree, at the second one I pull as tight as I can pull by hand then hook a winch on and pull lots more and tie it off with high tensel around the anchor tree (protected with tubing) and I loop it around the loop of the pull. I bend the HT by hand where it goes thru the loop, then I use a fence puller to get as tight as possible and crimp it using crimp sleeves (3) and a swage tool. Next I side tie to tighten further and also to hold elevation, pulling one side on the first and the other on the next. Sometimes it needs to make a long sweep in which case 2 or more side ties in a row may occur. In doing it this way you must use top notch clamps at any fittings or it will pull apart, i use the crimp rings (2) that Lowes sells.
I find this not only cheaper but the line doesn't get the little sag that often shows between each tie wire on conventional wire supported. I basically use the Rapi-tube method with Leader 30P. You are best off if you run your main so no side tie is more than about 25' from the next. I a few sections with runs like 75 and even a hundred' I use support posts made of local forked sticks with the tube resting in the fork, like a cloths line assist post. This method saves time, expense and gives a good result. Also, if a tree falls on the line no damage is usually done barring a possible crushed tube if a large tree crushes the main on a rock.
My winch I use is a 2000# single line pull and I pull almost the full 2000#'s, guessing like 1500-1700# generally.

spencer11
02-10-2012, 10:20 PM
maple flats- if you can get pics of what your talking about that would be awesome. its kind of hard for me to follow. i just dont know enough about mainline and all the fittings and stuff. my grandparents live in syracuse and my grandpa has a boat slip on oneida lake. if your close by i would love to see your setup before i do mine if that works. i usually go out during the summer or late spring. thanks

spencer

maple flats
02-11-2012, 06:31 AM
I'll get some this week and email them to you. I'm only 10 minutes from the east end of Oneida Lake (the rt 13-31 intersection) to my sugarhouse. The bush is about 12-14 minutes south, up in the hills. However I could show you a small non vac line done this way at the sugarhouse. Gravity and vac are both the same the way I do them for the mains. On the vac ones they then enter a wet/dry manifold and run into separate conductor lines. This summer lets make it a point to get together and I can show you my 2 bushes on vac, the second and much larger one is just 5 minutes past the first (but then 1/2 mile back into the woods. I use a 4x4, hook on a 4x8 trailer and drive in. I will be adding 2 or 3 more mains this summer. We could even run 1 when you are here so you see how I do it. After you could visit your grandpa at the lake.

spencer11
02-11-2012, 07:21 AM
that would be awesome. if your shack is buy the road i may have seen it when i was out there last fall. we usually go up and fish for the day, but im not sure which end he is on. i think its east end. my email is atvfanatic08@aol.com and you can call or txt me at 603-290-8202. im in school until 3 during the week so i can only text then. thanks

spencer