PDA

View Full Version : evaparator is set up

miller maple
02-10-2012, 12:50 PM
finally got my evaporator set up yesterday, and last night did a test run with water, everything worked great, i was kinda worried because i had never set up a real unit before allways had a homemade set up. the only problem i had was i have to much of a draft i think, i had a good fire gowin and the flue was boiling really good and i had a hard time gettin the syrup pan to boiling.any ideas how to cut down on my draft, the smoke stack doesn't have a damper in it so i have to figure out a way to cut down on the draft thanks.

vtwoody
02-10-2012, 02:39 PM
some firebrick in the back, just before the flue to act as a restrictor plate might work...hard to fine tune once you have a fire going though....

stewardsdairy
02-10-2012, 07:58 PM
Hope you get the evaporator running good. Take the back plate off and add firebrick as was the previous suggestion. We were able to do it with it running if you are careful. When the smoke puffs out the front you have restricted it too much. It will take some playing with, and I hope you get it figured out. Call me if you need advice!

miller maple
02-11-2012, 05:20 PM
Thanks Doug I remembered you had said how to do it but I had forgot. And I was lookin the other day and I couldn't find you number. If you could message that to me that would be great

stewardsdairy
02-13-2012, 11:52 AM
Sent you a message with phone number. Feel free to call if you need advise. Good luck! Still waiting on Leader for the new evaporator!

Paul Steward

Bruce L
02-13-2012, 06:59 PM
Paul,when is your rig due,and what did you order?Can't wait to fire up the new rig to see how impressive it is for boiling!!!!

miller maple
02-13-2012, 07:03 PM
hey paul sorry dont know why i called you doug haha. ya i got your number thanks, i think i got it figured out. i got 69 of my taps out today and plannin on getting the rest in tomorrow and wen hopin to fire up the rig friday or sat.

stewardsdairy
02-13-2012, 09:22 PM
Have a 3 x 10 vortex with max flues, revolution syrup pan and steamaway. It was due January 25th, but when I called 2 weeks ago they said February 23rd. With this warm winter, I really hope they deliver asap! Several people in my area are tapped, but I am hoping for an extended cold spell!

03-24-2012, 07:08 PM
I just found a evap like yours I m wondering wha ou are getting for a boil rate thanks.