PDA

View Full Version : mainline question

eagle lake sugar
02-10-2012, 10:13 AM
I'm planning a tubing installation for next year. It's about 2500' to the top of the ridge and about 800' wide. It's a mixed woodlot with around 1200 taps. Should I run one conductor line [wet/dry] in the middle with my mains running off that? The mains would be around 400' on each side. Or, should I run two conductors in parallel to shorten the length of the mains to around 200' each? Thanks in advance for any replies, Steve

cadocter
02-10-2012, 10:45 AM
I don't run vacuum but from what I've been reading I would go with the latter. I feel two conductor lines would allow better vacuum transfer. Just my two cents.

unc23win
02-10-2012, 10:46 AM
I think it all depends on how you want to do it. I would either A: run multiple mainlines say 3/4" maybe 4 or 5 or B: run 1" main across then 3/4" up the hill. Just keep in mind the recommended # of taps for the mainline sizes. Either way try to use as few fittings as possible.

Me I have two 1" inch mainlines running across the bottom of the hill sloping uphill of course with 3/4 inch branches running up the hill from there. So once my mainline was installed with all the fittings for the branch lines and tightened the branches were installed. I recommend buying the mainline by the spool and running it one line at a time and take the guess work out of measuring and at the same time through the use of saddles limit the amount of splices.

Thad Blaisdell
02-10-2012, 02:19 PM
absolutely run one cunductor. You will need to size it. off the top of my head I would say 1 1/4 dry and inch wet. then for last 1000 ft run inch/inch. 400 ft mainlines is perfect make those all 3/4.

ennismaple
02-10-2012, 02:21 PM
Your setup sounds ideal for a wet/dry 2-pipe system. Run the wet/dry lines straight up the middle of the hill and then run 3/4" mainlines parallel to the slope off each side with another mainline every 100ft as you go up the hill. It may cost a bit more to set up but you'll get high yield!

eagle lake sugar
02-10-2012, 05:23 PM
Thanks guys, that's kind of what I thought, but wanted to hear from some more experienced producers.