PDA

View Full Version : Big Freeze!!!

newman_maple
02-09-2012, 10:20 PM
I have all 160+ taps out with expected early results. I have brought in 400 gallons of sap and should get another 50 or so tomorrow. I hope the big freeze this weekend gives us the kick we need. COLD temps and strong winds might put the buds to rest. Next week looks great and would be right on the usual southern Ohio big sap week schedule. I am a teacher with a 4-day weekend beginning the 17th. I hope I am up to my ears in sap next weekend! Time will tell..... I still have taken the time to check sugar content.

christopherh
02-10-2012, 08:17 AM
Hope next week brings alot of sap to you guys in the central and south. Up here next weeks temps look marginal. I was planning on tapping this weekend, but may hold off. Right now they're predicting low to mid 30's all week for the days highs. I'll keep watching!

newman_maple
02-10-2012, 09:37 PM
Only got another 45 gallons before it froze up. Next week should bring better things!

newman_maple
02-15-2012, 10:55 PM
Big freeze to heat wave (AGAIN). It didn't reach freezing last night, but I did get 113 gallons today. Some were running hard and some didn't kick in until this afternoon so I hope to have another good day tomorrow. It is supposed to start getting down around freezing at night beginning tomorrow night so I hope to have a good weekend. I am off Friday and Monday so I would like to have a huge weekend. I can't see that happening, but I hope for another 200 gallons +. I have 30 home school kids w/ parents coming tomorrow evening so I plan to be boiling. That will be interesting! I have had many visitors, but never a large number.

miller maple
02-16-2012, 09:19 AM
this ohio weather is crazy, i have 400 taps in plannin on getting the rest in by the weekend havent boiled yet im hopeing to have enogh sap to fire up the evaporator by tomorrow or sat im really getting the ich to make some syrup, they were runnin perty good last night so we will see

newman_maple
02-18-2012, 07:07 PM
We have had some decent days this week. We brought it just over 350 gallons since the weather warmed back up. I will collect again tonight, but it will not be very warm tomorrow so will likely not get much until Monday. We are approaching 50% of a normal year - I just hope the weather cooperates in the next 2-3 weeks.

newman_maple
02-20-2012, 11:02 PM
I am at 900 gallons collected and have not picked up the sap from 25 buckets collected for me yet (2 days worth). I will over 1,000 gallons tomorrow. My lowest year in the last three was 1580 gallons and I am not sure I can get there with some warm nights coming and much warmer weather forecasted next week. Long range forecasts can change quick so I am hoping for the best.