PDA

View Full Version : My Saddle Installation

adk1
02-09-2012, 08:40 PM
Well, I installed my saddles last weekend. Unfortunatly, Iforgot that I should ahve carried a thermous of hot water to soften the tubing before pushing on the fitting. So, I would say that the majority of my saddles have the tubing pushed on almost up to the second barb. Is this going to be a problem on gravity? I really didnt think that it would be on gravity, I am using the Leader Grip. Of course Iwill just watch them this year.

twofer
02-09-2012, 08:50 PM
From my experience so far I've seen tubing rotate on the barb until you get it pushed up and over the second fitting. I've never ran gravity (went straight to vacuum) but it will probably seal alright.

I've probably missed your other threads but if you think you're going to run vacuum anywhere in the future you might want to avoid the hot water dance and just get some tubing tools. I don't go in the woods without my one handed plus two hands or my stomach or my two handed plus inside forearm plus stomach tools. :)

Rossell's Sugar Camp
02-09-2012, 09:00 PM
Only problem i can see is them popping off. With gravity you notice this by a loss in vacuum. You would have to just find it by chance. Not being pushed all the way on is not a big deal with gravity. Just security that they wont pull off. Buy a tubing tool.

If you dont read my whole post. READ THIS BELOW.
My tubing tool is the best investment i ever made. No other method compares.

woodsguydylan
02-09-2012, 09:37 PM
I agree with Rossels sugar camp, going into the woods without a one handed tubing tool is probably not a good idea. If you get the tubing on all the way then you wont have to worry about it in the future if you want to do a vacuum system. When you only put the tubing on to the first barb you will definately get leaks on vacuum.

gmcooper
02-09-2012, 09:59 PM
As mentioned above probably no issue on gravity but likely a problem if you go to vacuum. The other thing would be get a tubing tool as mentioned and use the thermos for coffee or hot chocolate.

thenewguy
02-10-2012, 01:31 AM
just a tip, chew lightly on the end of the tubing before you slide on the fittings. softens the tubing up

adk1
02-10-2012, 05:57 AM
I have a one handed tubing tool as well as the two handed tubing tool. I tried using the one handed tool but IT didnt seem to line up/work right. Couldnt figure out how to position it on the saddle etc to get it to work...maybe I will try again, but not the saddles are installed and twisted on with the wire ties

02-10-2012, 06:00 AM
I think my two handed tubing tool will put saddles on I sure hope so.

sugaringman85
02-10-2012, 06:13 AM
tubing installation on saddles are the hardest fitting out there. I've tried one handed and two handed. there is no simple way to get around it. A lot of times i'll just push them on by hand...If i get over the second barb I'm happy. It rarely leaks for me. NO CHEWING on tubing. We're not squirrels, all it does is create leaks regardless of what system your using. Your also introducing new bacterias into your tubing system that should stay out IMO

Snow Hill Farm
02-10-2012, 08:00 AM
I've found if you install the saddle and then clamp it to the main, wire tie, then clamp the tubing with the one handed tool and place the flat metal side in the groove where the main line wire goes it works pretty well. Also found that having any extra tubing sticking out of the clamp makes it more difficult...

DrTimPerkins
02-10-2012, 08:17 AM
just a tip, chew lightly on the end of the tubing before you slide on the fittings. softens the tubing up

....and causes leaks, especially if you're on vacuum.

unc23win
02-10-2012, 09:31 AM
I have used both the leader and lapierre saddles and I attach the tubing with my two handed tubing tool. Sometimes its a little tricky or awkward, but you can put line on any fitting with it. For saddles I close one side and the place my tubing in the other and let a little more stick out than normal this allows the tubing to go on all the way. The closed end can be used pretty much anywhere you can get a solid bite the extra tubing will make up for the lack of the tubing tool being parallel. Worst case scenario you might have to make two attempts.