PDA

View Full Version : Sap Filtering

treehugger
02-09-2012, 08:28 PM
I would like to filter my sap from my mainline that drains directly into my 325court gallon holding tank. I was thinking of attaching a sock (clean of course) to the end of my mainline. I know there must be a better way. Any suggestions? My mainline is 1/2".

markct
02-09-2012, 08:32 PM
I hope you are thinking sock as in milk filter sock, those are what i use and they are like 10 bucks for a box of 100, work great and are food grade, whereas if your thinking more like hanes work sock then i think there likely isnt a food grade version available, and doubt the filtering would be enough to catch much, and besides they cost more than milk sock filters anyhow!

adk1
02-09-2012, 08:37 PM
I am going to buy some of those milk filters at TSC tomorrow.

treehugger
02-09-2012, 08:41 PM
Yeah sure that's what I was talking about, milk socks. Where can I find these milk socks? And is there a another name for them? Or is it really milk sock?

Bucket Head
02-09-2012, 09:21 PM
Their just called filter socks for pipeline. Any dairy supply will have them. I'm not sure what TSC stocks for filters? Out of curiosity I'll have to look next time I'm in the one near me.

Steve

adk1
02-10-2012, 05:58 AM
I googled TSC and they do stock them, just dont know if they do in my particular store

treehugger
02-10-2012, 08:24 AM
Thanks guys that's good info. The cleaner the sap the better the syrup!

Bucket Head
02-10-2012, 10:21 PM
I'm pretty certain that they make several different diameter socks also. So you'll have to know what the outside diameter is of your discharge hose. I put a plastic wire tie/cable tie/zip tie- whatever you know them by, around the sock after I slide it on my hose.

Steve

markct
02-10-2012, 10:26 PM
i retain my milk sock on the end of the pipe with a hose clamp, i had them slide off with a zip tie, hose clamp is secure and reusable and seals well

Bucket Head
02-10-2012, 10:45 PM
My discharge hose has a fitting on the end of it. So I got sock filters big enough to go over that fitting and once the zip tie is snug it can't slide off because it can not go over the fitting. Everyone using a fitting-less hose or a straight piece of pipe would have to secure the filter better. Or you could put a hose clamp on your smooth hose/pipe and get filters big enough to go over the clamp and then zip tie the filter behind the clamp so it could'nt slide off. That way instead of needing a screwdriver or wrench to undo the clamp, you could just snip the tie quickly with cutters. It would be a little bit of a time savings and it might be easier to do with cold hands, wet hands, frozen fingers, gloved hands, etc. I do the clamp and zip tie method on the hose that goes into my gathering tank.

Steve

adk1
02-11-2012, 08:33 AM
I bought some 2"x24" milk socks yesteray at TSC. There are 100 of them for $21 I think. cheap. I was thinking about cutting them in half even, zip tying the one end and then clamping onto the pipe. I cant see needing 24" of filter.

02-11-2012, 11:26 AM
A buddy gave me an old ss milk strainer and some very fine ss mesh that I am going to use as a filter.

fishman
02-11-2012, 06:16 PM
I pump my sap but put a paper prefilter over the pump. I figure if it filters all of the crap out of the syrup it will filter all of the bark, bugs and other stuff out of the sap. Besides, I have them on hand anyway.

Z/MAN
02-11-2012, 11:01 PM
I bought some 2"x24" milk socks yesteray at TSC. There are 100 of them for $21 I think. cheap. I was thinking about cutting them in half even, zip tying the one end and then clamping onto the pipe. I cant see needing 24" of filter.

adk1, I cut the socks in half too. If I leave them long I will lose too much area in my tank.

adk1
02-12-2012, 02:51 PM
I here you ZMAN. I have already had to drill 2 holes in the side of my tank for my gravity mainline to enter cause I ahve to keep raising it so it feeds the float box like it should. My 200 gal tank is now probably down to 150 gallon....Urgh

wcproctor
02-14-2012, 05:56 PM
I use a house water filter to filter my sap. It hooks up to my small Honda gas pump then i put a hose adapter on the out side of the filter and use a safe garden hose to fill my tank.

http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11825686&CAWELAID=921666737
http://www.thehardwarecity.com/products/F78ev-3-4x1-2-Brass-Gh-Conn/2814812

Maple Hobo
02-14-2012, 06:45 PM
I would like to filter my sap from my mainline that drains directly into my 325court gallon holding tank. I was thinking of attaching a sock (clean of course) to the end of my mainline. I know there must be a better way. Any suggestions? My mainline is 1/2".

Invest in the POP bag filter.... Its quicker to change then zip tieing on a sock or cotton pillow case.
They used to use the "clean" sock method at the old style camp up the cove from us, they are using the pop filter bag now but zip tieing.