PDA

View Full Version : Anyone seen buds?

Tube-tamer II
03-13-2006, 04:30 PM
Dumped 165 gals of sap tonight that has been setting in 60 degree weather for 2 days. Cooler weather due in tonight and a severe drop slated for most of the remainder of the week. Not knowing what we might get the rest of the week we decided to dump it and start with fresh stuff. Saw what I believe was some small buds on the sugar maples here in CNY. The soft maple buds were all fuzzy and full. Another reason not to tap them. Has anyone else seen any buds? Couldn't taste it in the sap. Hopefully this warm spell hasn't screwed things up.

maplhgr
03-13-2006, 06:12 PM
Tapped this weekend in Pulaski area and noticed a few of the soft maples with buds. Sugar maples look OK. Hoping this cooldown will get things going.

mountainvan
03-14-2006, 06:24 AM
don't even think buds yet!! We still have lots of syrup to make.

sapman
03-14-2006, 10:07 PM
Tube-tamer,

I think the buds you're seeing on sugar maples are pretty normal for during the season. I used to get nervous about them, but I don't think I've ever made buddy syrup. Soft, or red, maples, seem to have those large red buds even early in the year.

Good to see another local sugarmaker on here! We must only be about 15 minutes from each other!

Good luck,
Tim

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
03-15-2006, 06:48 AM
Sugars are tight down here and I can assure you if they are tight here, they are tight there as we have had probably 2 or 3 times the amount of warm days and nights here. :)

Tomahawk
03-15-2006, 09:20 PM
I got buds here.

Sap's almost stopped running and what is running is cloudy.

I think I'm done.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
03-15-2006, 09:28 PM
Tomahawk,

With you being in the city, it is a lot warmer than most of the other areas where maple is made in the state. :?

Tomahawk
03-17-2006, 12:06 AM
Tomahawk,

With you being in the city, it is a lot warmer than most of the other areas where maple is made in the state. :?

I'll buy that Brandon. It makes sense. But, everyone else can't be too far behind. My trees haven't run in 2 or 3 days now.

Hope you continue to have a great year. I must say, it was a pretty good one for me. I finally made a whole gallon of syrup!