PDA

View Full Version : What's an arch?

Murphy's Law
02-09-2012, 09:11 AM
I have been around sugaring for years and I have tried it last year. I'm a little confused about the timing for this year but it appears that others here are too, so maybe I'm not alone.

I see the term "arch" used here frequently. I also see people use "arch board" or "arch panel" in discussions about insulation and firebrick. Obviously the word "arch" means something different to you guys than the typical inverted U shape widely known in architecture. I have searched here and I do not find a good description of an "arch".

Can someone give me some words of wisdom concerning what an ARCH is? Thanks.

DrTimPerkins
02-09-2012, 09:44 AM
Can someone give me some words of wisdom concerning what an ARCH is? Thanks.

From the NAMSPM 2006 Glossary.

arch = Frame structure supporting the evaporator pans and enclosing the firebox (wood fired evaporator) or other heat sources, e.g. oil burners, gas burners, etc.

In short, it is what the evaporator pans sit upon, and where the heat is.

ClarkFarmMapleSyrup
02-09-2012, 03:19 PM
Basicly it is the firebox of your evaporator. You have the arch(the fire box) and you have firebrick that insulates it to hold heat in to protect the metal of it, and you have the pans that sit ontop and thats what you boil in.
J.C.

Jeff E
02-09-2012, 06:45 PM
The good Doctor and Clark farm are leading you astray!!!
An arch is that curved part of your foot between your toes and your heel!;)

Fishgill
02-09-2012, 06:50 PM
That's what Noah put all the animals on.

sirsapsalot
02-09-2012, 09:20 PM
http://www.sugarbush.info/forums/vbglossar.php?do=showentry&id=43 Here is a definition from the SBI glossary.