PDA

View Full Version : opinion pole? Hows the season going to go with the weather we are having?

PFHII
02-09-2012, 08:11 AM
I want to hear everyones opinions on how 2012 is going to go with the lack of snow here (at this point)? Who's tapped and who's made syrup?

smokeyamber
02-09-2012, 09:54 AM
Gonna be a great year and I am waiting til around Town meeting day to tap, tapped after that last year so that should be about right. Rooting for more snow so I can keep the sap cold !!! :mrgreen:

DrTimPerkins
02-09-2012, 10:31 AM
I want to hear everyones opinions on how 2012 is going to go with the lack of snow here (at this point)? Who's tapped and who's made syrup?

Ask again in late-April. :D

PARKER MAPLE
02-09-2012, 03:55 PM
Well I tapped 150 yesterday and today, its running very well. 24 at night and 45 in the day. I should be gathering the small set ups tomorrow. The other two bigger bushs I will wait to tap untill maybe next week, I usually tap on valentines day (sorry honey) but this year isnt like any other years so you cant go by what you have done in the past. Just when it feels right go for it. I tapped my first woods because I no its always warmer in there and has some wind protection. There isnt any snow and ground frost is out on the side hills in there also. The big sugarbush is way up in the mtns and I havnt yet ever tapped it. But its constantly 15-20 degrees colder there. So this will be a late running one. Hopefully be boiling a little this weekend and then freezing up for a couple of day next week. got to remember to clean the tanks out so it dosnt freeze up in there like last year

Maple Rookie
Good luck

chevypower
02-09-2012, 10:52 PM
Tue 14 Wed 15 Thu 16 Fri 17 Sat 18
Partly Cloudy Partly Cloudy Partly Cloudy Snow Shower Mostly Cloudy
High High High High High
38°F 38°F 39°F 35°F 35°F

Low Low Low Low Low
25°F 27°F 27°F 25°F 20°F

We're still about 2 weeks from being ready to tap, hope we don't miss it!!

Rossell's Sugar Camp
02-13-2012, 03:36 PM
dont get discouraged without the snow. Around here it is more common than not to not have snow on the ground for most of sugaring season. Now last year and the year before were crazy. Especially 2 years ago. I wished i had snow shoes!

oneoldsap
02-13-2012, 05:39 PM
It's the weather after you tap that effects , syrup production , both grade and quantity . What happens before is of little consequence !

Greenwich Maple Man
02-13-2012, 05:40 PM
Nobody can answer this question 100%.

highlandcattle
02-13-2012, 05:56 PM
Ron tapped end of January. Got a few quick runs, was able to boil off about 1 qt. We need Alot of sap to get the 2x8 going. Warm and sunny down here at the saphouse but the woods are frozen up. Will just need to keep waiting and trying, it will happen. 1, 200 feet above the historic Mohawk Valley. off of Rt 30A in Montgomery county, NY