PDA

View Full Version : how deep should i run my pan

blue182
02-09-2012, 07:36 AM
I just got a new wood fired 2' by 6' whith drop flues. How much sap should i run in the pan.

Ausable
02-09-2012, 11:45 AM
Howdy Blue - You will hear different answers - In my flat pans continuous flow I run between 1 1/2" and 2" - However I don't have a float control box. Here is one of the problems with answering Your question - We don't know what You know? Have You ever fired on any kind of continuous flow evaporator before? I used batch pans for years and a continuous flow is a different beast - but - fun and a lot quicker. Someone with a drop flue rig will come on and give you the information you need - best I can do is a Ball Park -- best of luck and have fun with your new rig.

adk1
02-09-2012, 11:51 AM
I ahve the same setup/ 2x6 drop flue. THis is my first year so I cant tell your from experience, but I will tell you that I plan on running at 1" sap depth.

RileySugarbush
02-09-2012, 12:31 PM
The standard answer is "it depends". Some run as low as 3/4". On my 2x6 I run between 1 and 1.25", but as I have added better combustion it is getting a little hairy. The ports out of, into and between pans were all 1/2" and the flow was restricted to the point that sometimes I came very to near burnt pans. This year I am changing all ports and valves to 1". My feed line and preheat piping will be upped to 3/4".

Even with those changes I think I will stay above 1.5". Some say that running shallower increase evaporation rate, but I am not sure I agree. Running deeper will have the potential to make a bit darker grade of syrup, but I am fine with that and prefer darker anyway.

Russell Lampron
02-09-2012, 07:29 PM
If you have never boiled with a real evaporator it is best to start at 1.5" to 2" in the front pan until you get used to it. After you have run it for a while you can run it shallower but you shouldn't go less than 1".

lakeview maple
02-09-2012, 11:03 PM
I have a 2x6 leader drop flue and I run at 3/4 to 1 " .you need to keep an eye on it and have sap or water ready to flood the pan.I didnt have any problems last year and had a great season.

Flat Lander Sugaring
02-10-2012, 06:08 AM
I have a 2x6 leader drop flue and I run at 3/4 to 1 " .you need to keep an eye on it and have sap or water ready to floor the pan.I didnt have any problems last year and had a great season.

im the same, i tried 5/8 one year didnt work to good, If i get over 1" i cant keep the front pan boiling

RiverValleySugarhouse
02-12-2012, 09:32 AM
Just starting out I'd go more than a 1" probably around 1 1/2". New arch for you why take any chances t'll you figure things out. Drop flue arch pans are all on the same level not like raised, flue pan higher 2 floats one for front and one for back plenty to pour in from back pan, so your feed sap will have to make it threw whole flue pan setup to raise sap level in front longer recovery time. When your drawing off your pulling liquid out and your feed is way in the back so it will take longer to raise sap level. Plus if your level in the front drops low so will your back and you don't want to burn the flue.. big $$$$ I run 1 1/2" in my 2x6 raised flue. Maybe more now that I got a r.o just my 2 cents. good luck