PDA

View Full Version : Sight tube on feed tank

SevenCreeksSap
02-08-2012, 07:11 PM
Has anyone managed to find a reasonably easy way to attach a clear sight tube- sap level indicator to a blue poly 55 gal barrel? I have no idea how much sap I'm running through and it really bugs me. I'm thinking if I can add a level indicator I can mark it at certain gallons-10-20 ect, then fill my tank to a level, then measure as I drain into the evap.

Not sure how to go about adding it in without major leaks, ect.
Thanks

Brian
02-08-2012, 08:13 PM
On the outlet of your tank put in a tee, take the middle nipple and head it up. install a piece of clear hose and have it go higher than the top of the tank by 3-6 inches.some people drop aball in the hose for easy sight. Make sure the ball can't fit into the tee and lug the line. good luck!!

Maple Hobo
02-08-2012, 08:15 PM
Looks like your using copper water plumbing (don't like the lead solider myself)
Cut in a tee that you can put a hose barb fitting into a length of sap line or milk line?
Wire the other end to the top of the containier. Don't plug it it needs to be open on the top to work right.
You could adapt into a glass tube, but I think the sap line or milk line a cheaper more durrable solution.

We have a clear milk line in the sugar camp to see whats in the stainless steel tank outside.
Its just off a tee fitting on the sap line into the evaporator.

Flat Lander Sugaring
02-09-2012, 05:41 AM
Looks like your using copper water plumbing (don't like the lead solider myself).
solder used for domestic water is usually 95 % TIN / 5% ANTIMONY (95/5 WIRE SOLDER)
so it is lead free

backyard sugaring
02-09-2012, 06:58 AM
The only time 50/50 solder is used is on heat. We only use silverbrite solder more money, but I never have to worry about the guys grabbing the wrong stuff for potable water. Many of our older homes and schools still have copper pipes soldered with lead,which is a problem. Good luck to all this season. Lee

Dill
02-09-2012, 07:59 AM
The Tee system works great, and an orange ping pong ball is easy to see. However you need a working float on your evap for the tee to work.

SevenCreeksSap
02-09-2012, 04:47 PM
Wish I'd done this post before I soldered all that up, but didnt know I needed it. I did use lead free solder thanks to reading it on here first. I'm not a plumber but none of it leaks. not pretty though.
I was thinking of using plastic/ cpvc waterline but wasnt sure if the heat would affect it. My line is about 3 in. out from the side and doesnt even get hot. I was also eventually going to try to figure a way to wind the copper back and forth along the side for a preheater but not sure if that'll work because it would be below the pan inlet. Guess thats why they're on top in the steam.

regarding a float, I dont have that yet but do have the in line valve for sap flow control. I guess If I put the tee back by the tank and the valve by the pan is closed, the sap should fill the sight tube because the copper pipe is full. sound right?

Jeff E
02-09-2012, 06:41 PM
Sounds right.
the T is what I use also, with a slip bobber floating for easy reading. I also mark the clear tubing for my 'shut down' level. When the sap gets down to that line, I know to stop firing the evaporator, so I dont run it dry while it cools at the end of the day.

SevenCreeksSap
02-09-2012, 06:50 PM
Ping pong ball is good but I like the slip bobber. One of the good brown ones with a yellow stripe for a good line.I've got those, dont have a ping pong table.