PDA

View Full Version : First Post of 2012,Yippee,,,,STEEL PAN QUESTION ???

TerryEspo
02-08-2012, 05:48 PM
Hello Everyone once again.

Crazy winter here in Ontario Canada has me thinking tap, tap, tap,,,we have very little snow and kooky warm temps.

I have heard a few locals say it may actually hurt the sap season.

Anyway, I may have asked last year, but really need to decide for this year.

I have an old steel pan, not stainless steel, just good ole regular plate steel. Last year I rubbed and scrubbed and put it away clean, no rust and oiled.

Can I use the large regular steel pan to boil sap?

I know if I had a stainless one it is better, but they cost so much for just a part-timer, I can't justify the price.

The large steel pan I have fits a wood fired arch I have so I really hope I can use that. Eventually I may order a custom SS pan if I stay with this.

Last year I did not use the old steel pan and instead just a turkey frier and propane, super costly and slow boil rate.

I look forward to a reply that knows for sure if I can use the old timer pan !!

Thanks to all.

Terry

spencer11
02-08-2012, 05:52 PM
you can boil on it but its not recomended, just cause well its steel and can rust. thats the only concern. if its clean and if you dont sell your syrup. go ahead and use it. it actully conducts heat better than stainless. but remember it has to be cleanish and use it at you own risk cause you never know.

spencer

garytapsmaples
02-08-2012, 06:05 PM
I've been boiling in kettles for years over an open fire and it works fine but after last year I decided to build an arch and had a stainless steel pan made. I just cant handle the 24hr. boils. You may have an iron taste the first time if you boil but that will go away after the steel gets seasoned/glazed. It's like cleaning an iron frying pan too well.

TerryEspo
02-08-2012, 06:20 PM
It is crazy to think I could get a stainless insert made?

Super thin material, (if they make it), really thin and then cut many holes in the old pan like swiss cheese and use the old steel pan as framework for the new thin insert??
All the holes would allow the fire to reach the stainless pan in alot of places.

Anybody follow me what I,m thinking??

It is just that the old steel pan is also the top (lid) for my arch, I need it for a lid. I hope that makes sense.

02-08-2012, 06:23 PM
It will be fine many people on here use them after you boil them you will develop a acting of sugar sand

TerryEspo
02-08-2012, 06:50 PM
Thanks for the replies.

Can you explain that a bit more for me please. What is " a acting of sugar sand ? " Sounds positive whatever it is, lol !!

Should I do a practice boil first time and add regular sugar water just to season the pan? A full bag of sugar and water and boil that for a bit,,,would it hurt ?

I hate to waste the good sap when I get it.

Terry

02-08-2012, 06:55 PM
Oops I meant a coating of sugar sand you will be all set

Ausable
02-08-2012, 07:32 PM
Hello Everyone once again.

Crazy winter here in Ontario Canada has me thinking tap, tap, tap,,,we have very little snow and kooky warm temps.

I have heard a few locals say it may actually hurt the sap season.
Anyway, I may have asked last year, but really need to decide for this year.

I have an old steel pan, not stainless steel, just good ole regular plate steel. Last year I rubbed and scrubbed and put it away clean, no rust and oiled.

Can I use the large regular steel pan to boil sap?

I know if I had a stainless one it is better, but they cost so much for just a part-timer, I can't justify the price.

The large steel pan I have fits a wood fired arch I have so I really hope I can use that. Eventually I may order a custom SS pan if I stay with this.

Last year I did not use the old steel pan and instead just a turkey frier and propane, super costly and slow boil rate.

I look forward to a reply that knows for sure if I can use the old timer pan !!

Thanks to all.

Terry

Terry - Being You are a Backyarder - as I am - You can Boil in a Tomato Juice can if You like. Making Syrup for Your own use is easy - just have to get the syrup making politicians out of the way. I have been making maple syrup for about 18 years altogether and always learning. I've made it in about everything that will hold liquid. I have even used a large galvanized batch pan, then a large steel batch pan and now use a steel continuous flow evaporator. Have finished syrup in stainless steam table pans, aluminum pots, and stainless pots --- the metal I'm most cautious with making syrup is aluminum - cause if left standing the sugar goes to work on the metal. Then it would be galvanized because of the coating. I would not hesitate to use steel and from what you wrote - it sounds like you keep your pan clean and thats good. The first couple of years I used steel - after cleaning I would wipe it with olive oil and wipe off prior starting the next season and do a water boil and wipe it as I was cautious I might get an olive oil taste ??? On both the steel batch pan and the steel continuous flow pans I found that after a couple of years they formed a protective glaze from boiling syrup and I stopped with the oil. Just checked my continuous flow pan and it looks good. Stainless is pretty and fairly easy to keep up and I have nothing against it. But ---- Don't be afraid to use Your steel pan. ----Mike----