PDA

View Full Version : tapped

Tim
03-13-2006, 11:06 AM
Put out 70 taps on 3/10/06.
Running kind of slow. We are in the middle of an eight inch snowstorm.

brucekremer
03-15-2006, 10:04 AM
I tapped some on Sat. 3/4 and yup it was running kinda slow until last Saturday 3/11 which prompted me to tap another 8 trees (we're a pretty small backyard kinda op.). It ran pretty good Sat and Sun but we're pretty much froze up now after the storm on Monday. With another storm coming tonight and tomorrow I suspect won't be doing much until at least this weekend if not early next week.

twigbender
03-15-2006, 04:41 PM
I'm from a lot further north than you other guys (25 miles north of Bemidji) and it can't seem to get to 32 degrees let alone up to 50. I was planning on tapping Saturday, but the forecast is for continued highs in the 20s and low 30s. I think I'll wait until next week to tap. Wish it would get started -- I'm anxious for go stand in that sweet smellin' steam!
I just got started in this hobby last spring. We tapped 86 trees and ended up with 4 gallons of finished syrup. This year I'm shooting for 10 gallons, but will probably be happy with 8. So, as you can see, I'm a really small-potatoes sort of sugar guy at best. But I love it!
Keep this site posted on how the run is going further south and I'll update with progress up here too. Happy sugaring!

Tim
03-21-2006, 10:12 PM
Finally trees are starting to run.
gathered 100 gallons off of 80 taps.
with the 60 gallons of sap and ice we gathered on Sunday, we should have enough to fire up the 2x6.
will be boiling tomorrow. The weather looks good through the week-end.

Tim
03-23-2006, 09:26 PM
been averaging 100 gallons of sap a day out of 80 taps.
the sap averages about 2 1/2 % sugar.
boiled Wednesday - for 3 1/2 hours and sugared the pans.
boiled on Thursday - for 4 1/2 hours and made about 3 gallons syrup.
It sure is a lot lighter coming out of this evaporator, versus a flat pan.
It sure is a lot of fun!

Tim
03-26-2006, 04:01 PM
The sap keeps on running. We made 4 gallons on Friday and 5 gallons on Saturday. I took today off, we'll boil again tomorrow.

twigbender
03-27-2006, 11:06 AM
I tapped Saturday. Put out 60 taps and was really anticipating a good run. Many of them were running before I could get the bucket on the spile.

Collected 11 gallons yesterday afternoon. That was disappointing. Hung another 10 last night and figure I'll put out 30 more yet this week. Hoping to have enough sap to boil by Wed. and again on Sat.

However, up here on the edge of the tundra, things seems to happen a bit too slowly. But I'll be patient and enjoy the process vicariously through you "southern boys."