PDA

View Full Version : Maple Beer

wcproctor
02-08-2012, 04:53 PM
Check this out. Ill be making it soon.
http://hopville.com/recipe/51449/american-brown-ale-recipes/maple-brown-ale

Flat47
02-08-2012, 09:29 PM
Sounds great! I tried a maple ale many many years ago and it was a bust - tasted like plain old brown blah brown ale. In reading the link you incuded, they say to add the syrup later, not as a replacement for dextrose, and that may well make the difference. I added it to the wort. I may have to dig out the homebrew gear again! Thanks for sharing.

cjric
02-10-2012, 06:25 AM
Hi- New here, and new to sugaring, but have brewed for a few years.
I have made a maple brown before that has turned out well. I use a similar recipe as the link, but use some roasted barley as well. I put a quart of maple syrup in after the boil and use maple sap instead of water for the wart. Turns out great! Going to save some sap and do another batch this year. I'd like to use my own syrup, but I'll have to see how much I get first. I've got 12 taps in 6 Norway maples around my yard. I got 25 gallons over 5 warm days last week and boiled down a little over a quart of syrup on a borrowed wood stove that is sitting on my deck. I tapped a few trees in the past, but just so I had enough sap to make beer with.

Cider Hill Maple Farm
02-10-2012, 06:50 PM
Ok guys you have my attention now!!! Why not brew while you boil? Don't they go hand in hand when the kids go to bed?

eustis22
02-11-2012, 06:55 AM
Woodstock Station's Kancamagus Maple Porter made me decide to combine the two as well. It's probably my favorite beer. I like the idea of sap-as-wort.

Z/MAN
02-11-2012, 10:50 PM
I used sap instead of water last year. The beer got really really good after ageing for a few months. A night and day difference from when I first tapped it.