PDA

View Full Version : False start or just reds?

Octo
02-08-2012, 04:04 PM
I'm still a beginner ( but I'm having fun!) I tapped 5 trees in mid January and they flowed slowly, but the weather forecast was promising. When the flow picked up a bit more, I added more taps with a total of 25, all of which are in red maples. Since the start I've collected less than 10 gallons, and 4 of the original 5 trees have given about 9-1/2 of the total 10 gallons. When the taps were installed in all those other trees, they were wet and dripped, albeit slowly, but I expected the weather to help. Well, I may have started too early. I cleaned out the bore holes on several trees that receive some pretty good sunlight, but still no sap. I even threatened to turn several trees into some new furniture, but as you might guess, that didn't work either! Perhaps the problem lies with finicky red maples. I would welcome any comments...good or bad. Thanks.

Russell Lampron
02-08-2012, 06:17 PM
I'm still a beginner ( but I'm having fun!) I tapped 5 trees in mid January and they flowed slowly, but the weather forecast was promising. When the flow picked up a bit more, I added more taps with a total of 25, all of which are in red maples. Since the start I've collected less than 10 gallons, and 4 of the original 5 trees have given about 9-1/2 of the total 10 gallons. When the taps were installed in all those other trees, they were wet and dripped, albeit slowly, but I expected the weather to help. Well, I may have started too early. I cleaned out the bore holes on several trees that receive some pretty good sunlight, but still no sap. I even threatened to turn several trees into some new furniture, but as you might guess, that didn't work either! Perhaps the problem lies with finicky red maples. I would welcome any comments...good or bad. Thanks.

You are right reds are finicky. Some of them will run good, others will run fair and others won't run at all. I have found that the only way to sap out of reds consistently is to put them on vacuum.

Balsam Hills
02-08-2012, 10:13 PM
It's a wee bit early. Be patient-we tap nothing but red maples on gravity and make plenty of syrup.