PDA

View Full Version : Covering Insulation

chuck240z
02-08-2012, 09:13 AM
Has anyone tried to cover the 1" blanket insulation with sheet metal rather then bricks? Just wondering.

My firebox is 1/8 inch steel, and the area under the flue pan is 18 gauge sheet metal. I want to insulate it but don't have to do bricks because Its going to put the bricks right next to the outer flues.

I've got 2.5 inches on each side of the flues, and the 1 1/4 inch bricks plus the 1" blanket puts me to close.

So...I can either do insulation blanket and metal, or bricks and metal. (using metal as a protector for he bricks or blanket.)

Thanks,

-Chuck-

sniperdodo
02-18-2012, 07:09 PM
Hi Chuck,
I tried that last year with my first homemade arch. I used 2" Roxul insulation and then lined the firebox with 1/8" steel plate. after about 6hrs of burning, my steel plate sagged and the fire made its way into the insulation cavity. I did have a blower fan under the fire grates and it did burn pretty hot. Not sure if that helps you at all, Good Luck

chuck240z
02-19-2012, 09:44 PM
Thanks for the reply. I'm committed at this point. I covered one inch insulation with 20 gauge steel. We made 20 gallons in serving pans with no insulation last year, so at least were moving in the right direction!

Brent
02-20-2012, 09:22 AM
The meltdown noted above is the first risk. You will also get very rapid oxidation / rusting of the sheets. They may only last a few seasons ... if they stay standing unless they are stainless,
which can stil sag in the heat anyway.

Put on the bricks and brick up the sides to within say 3" or so of the flues. This way the heat will get at the outside flues pretty well. With the bricks up that high it is not likely that you'll pitch in wood that will go above the bricks and damage the insulation. The whole poiint of the bricks is to proetect the insulation. Bricks done insulate worth a pinch.