PDA

View Full Version : Filtering sap

Dave Y
03-13-2006, 11:04 AM
Can A 30 micron culligan sediment filter be used to filter sap with out effecting the sugar content?

Fred Henderson
03-13-2006, 11:47 AM
Dave, I use a cartridge type 5 micron filter on my sap. The sap is pumped thru it and into the storage tank. I take it apart after each days use and rinse the outside of the cartridge. This works well for me with no adverse effect.

brookledge
03-13-2006, 12:29 PM
Definately, infact some types of yeast and bacteria can be filtered out around 1 micron which if you can do that you will have better sap.
I also use 5 micron as my last filter cartridge.
Keith

Dave Y
03-14-2006, 05:59 AM
Is your sap pumped through the filter or is it run through with tank head pressure before it goes to the evaporator? I am wondering if my litte teel pump will run it through a filter and still lift it 5ft in to the evaporator tank.

brookledge
03-14-2006, 08:50 PM
Dave
I have a pump that pushes it through. When the filter is new goes through easily but pressure begins to build as it collects stuff. I'm guessing that it has about 40-50 psi when I have to change the filter.
Keith

maple flats
03-19-2006, 08:30 PM
Looks like most if not all RO's have a big filter to go thru before the sap hits the RO. Sugar will not be filtered out it is disolved in the water (sap), all you would loose is what sugar is in the wet remaining in the filter which would have sugar in it but that would be extremely little.

Dave Y
03-21-2006, 07:48 AM
I thought that would be the case w/ the sugar content. I think I will need a bigger pump to push it through the filter and lift it into my evaporator tank.

Pete S
03-21-2006, 04:41 PM
As for pumping the sap. For a small operation, to pump sap through a filter, what "type"/style of pump would work the best?

This filtering sap through a cartridge filter sounds interesting, as the tee shirt thing just get most of the big chunks!

Thanks!

Fred Henderson
03-21-2006, 07:09 PM
I use a small submersible sump pump(plastic housing) with a 3/4" clear food grade hose attached. Just remember that the high you pump the less GPM you will move.

Russell Lampron
03-21-2006, 07:23 PM
Before I had my RO machine I used a pop on sap filter, a felt bag that fits over a 7 0r 8 inch disc to pre filter my sap as I unloaded it from the truck tank. From there I used a submersible pump and a small cartridge filter for water that I got from Home Depot to filter it as I pumped it up into the feed tank. I still use the pop on filter which fits the hole in the cover of my bulk tank for unloading. The RO machine has a cartridge pre filter that does the rest.

Russ

maple flats
03-21-2006, 07:26 PM
If anyone gets the specs on what type filter cartridge they need I might be able to get you a better price. Best if this is planned for next year. Uaually I beat Culligan by a pretty large % and the ones i can get are top quality. I however do not stock them I have an arrangement with a water conditioner mfgr and get a great deal but may take a week for me to get them if they need to order the #. As an example I can get a 4 5/8" x 10" 1/2 micron so i can sell it for $15.00 each in lots of 8. Most other sizes are also available, just PM me to get a quote. The smaller the micron rating the higher the price.

Fred Henderson
03-21-2006, 08:14 PM
Yep, and the smaller the micron rating the more often they will have to be change. Just using a 5 micron sure makes a difference on the paper prefilters.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
03-21-2006, 09:03 PM
I am very interested in what is being said. I use a Tanaka and pump my sap from my two tanks on my tractor thru a UV light which is necked down to 3/4". It is a 13 gph flow rate and I run it thru about 10 gph. If I hooked up one of these to where it comes out of the UV light, would it be able to handle 10gph. I know there is plenty of pressure from the pump, but I can't afford to slow down any more than that. I live 30 minutes away, so I go after work and gather all thru bushes and I can collect up to 500 to 550 gallon of sap in about 3 hours, run it thru the UV light and then home to spend time with family.

maple flats
03-21-2006, 09:32 PM
Yes the lower micron rating will slow the flow and I do not reccommend the 1/2 micron, that is just the last ones I sold and had a price handy. That was used for some well water that has extremely fine clay and rock suspended in it, even a 1 micron would be a strain on some pumps before long in use, would need frequent rinsing to get more life from it.

mountainvan
03-22-2006, 07:55 AM
He's what I do as for pumping and filtering sap. Pump is a honda mini 4 stroke, don't have to mix fuel and pumps about 2000gl/hr. If I get another pump it will be the 4000gl/hr honda. I filter the sap with the orlon boot filters on the truck, cut a hole in a bucket lid sliced the sides and it fits well in the 8" opening of a pickup tank. I then either use a long 1" milk filter, saps got to be clear, or cut a 5 micron 20" ro filter in half, put that in a whole house filter cartridge and filter cloudy sap into my ro tank. 20" filters are $4.50 so 1/2 is $2.25. Pretty cheap for a good filter.

SUGARSMITH
03-22-2006, 09:49 AM
I took a culligan filter holder, plumbed it before the back pan. I put t "t" on the exit of the holder. From there one line goes to the preheater and the other goes back into the holding tank. When I start , i turn on the pump and leave it on all day. So by the time the sap goes into the pan it has been through the filter who knows how many times, and the float takes what it needs for the pan. I have seen a large decrease of niter and foaming in the front pan.

I use the cheap culligan filters $6-7 for a pair and they last about a day

OneLegJohn
03-28-2006, 02:57 PM
Where is the pump located? I want to filter through a 1-5 micron inline cartridge filter. How do I use my little mini 4-stroke honda pump - with out killing it - and filter through a water filter to remove "junk." Will gravity work on the filter before the float box? Maybe a double setup - so I can change one without stopping flow..... Anyone know? Try it?

maplehound
03-28-2006, 09:11 PM
John
Sugar smiths Idiea sound sintersting but did you notice that the sap is not going through the filter before going on the pan rather it has a seperate path to go through the filter or on to the pan. Don't ever put any device between your gavity feed tank and your float box that might restrict the flow. Any filter could become cloged and the not alow enough sap to flow on to your pan. Before you know it your pan will be dry and on fire. I SPEAK FROM EXPERIENCE. i put a flow meter between my gravity tank and the float box and it stopped the flow tomy pan after working for several runs. I was lucky enough to catch the problem just in time to keep from catching fire. 8O PLEASE LEARN FROM MY MISTAKE don't put that filter in there.
Ron

brookledge
03-28-2006, 09:17 PM
I agree nothing between the head tank and the evaporator. With small units that don't have a high evaporation rate you can get away with a slower feed rate. But if your boiling 150-200 gph when you need sap you need it fast.
Keith

SUGARSMITH
03-31-2006, 08:06 AM
Let me add that the filter housing has a bypass for emergency sap requirements and I am using a 4x8 raised flue, preheater and hoods. I can go through about 150 gallons an hour. I have not had a problem with my supply of sap into the back pan. But my sugarhouse is on the side of a small spring fed pond if there is a problem. As long as you keep on top of it you shouldnt run low.

I start out with a higher micron filter and as it circulates and pulls stuff out of the sap the filter becomes finer and finer. When it does slow up to an unacceptabler point, i turn the bypass valve and change it out. A filter lasts about a day.

maplehound
03-31-2006, 05:03 PM
If you have to manually by pass the filter, then I still wouldn't do it. It only takes a minute to have things go teribly wrong. If you relax just for a short time and the filter gloged no amount of water near by will help. The damage is done in moments. If you do it though I do wish you luck.
Ron

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
03-31-2006, 05:08 PM
I personally wouldn't advise anyone to put a filter inline between the tank and the evaporator. This is a recipe for diaster. Ask Mapleking and others you have tried the same. :? I think this issue on filtering is fine and great, but it can be taken a little overboard. The sap filtering bags work great and catch about everything that the eye can see. A better quality filter may help a little, but in the long run will make minimal difference at best. :?