PDA

View Full Version : where to mount a forced air blower?

mrnorthshore
02-07-2012, 10:09 PM
I have been looking for some info on where to mount a blower motor for the forced draft on my evaporator (30"x10'). I got some galv metal and bent a vent ( a copy of the GRIMM WOODSAVER) but just need to find out if it matters how far below the grates I cut the hole in the stainless steel. Should the hole be at ground level or just below the grates on the back of the arch?? Does it matter?? Thanks for all the help guys.

Jec
02-08-2012, 02:42 PM
When I put mine on I put it in the middle of the back piece below the grates. I have a circular pipe but the same thing applies. As long as it is in the ash pit it shouldn't matter. Remember to seal the draft door. I put ceramic blanket because it will be blowing right at it.
Hope this helps,
Joey

Russell Lampron
02-08-2012, 06:28 PM
I put mine in like Jec did. It is about 1/2 way between the floor and the bottom of the grates. I also put a baffle in my ash pit to direct the air up to the grates.

mrnorthshore
02-08-2012, 07:31 PM
Thanks so much!! I just hate to cut the hole and put it to high or to low. Thanks also for adding about the draft doors, I never thought about that!! do you put ceramic blanket over the whole door or just pack it in the seams??

adk1
02-08-2012, 08:22 PM
I am mounting mine this weekend. I will let you know how it works

GramaCindy
02-09-2012, 05:17 AM
I also am mounting mine this weekend. Got started yesterday by drilling four holes for the corners of the hole. Took a while, but I got that job done. I would have gone farther, but the jigsaw is AWOL.:confused:

Jec
02-09-2012, 05:44 AM
Thanks so much!! I just hate to cut the hole and put it to high or to low. Thanks also for adding about the draft doors, I never thought about that!! do you put ceramic blanket over the whole door or just pack it in the seams??
Just covered the whole door

ennismaple
02-10-2012, 03:01 PM
While you're at it - mount the blower outside and pipe it in a straight run to the back of the fire box. It'll help keep the sugar house noise down.

maple maniac65
02-10-2012, 06:53 PM
also remeber that cold air makes a hotter fire than warm air.