PDA

View Full Version : Question about tubing...Newbie Help

dracmaple
02-07-2012, 06:27 PM
This year I am running about 20 trees on some 3/4" mainline with 5/16 laterals for the first time. I have no more than 3 taps on a lateral just because of the grouping of the trees. My problem is that the sap seems to be just sitting in the drop lines and the lateral loop to the saddle. I have a little in my collection tank but not much, about 2 inches for 20 trees for the last 2 days. Is this just because the trees really are not running or am I doing something wrong??? Some of the drop line loop below the lateral line, is this a problem or will the little bit of natural vacuum pull this out? Any info or suggestions would be great.

spencer11
02-07-2012, 06:32 PM
This is happening to me to. I have lats going to 5 gal. Buckets. I've got some In the buckets, but not alot. I think the sap just has to fill the lines and it not running great either.

Spencer

ClarkFarmMapleSyrup
02-07-2012, 06:32 PM
I noticed some of my drops have dipped below the lateral too, and the sap will flow better if the drops are all above the laterals. Also for the saddles, and mainline, maybe there are dips before the saddles and sap is backing up. Another could be that your lines have an uphill spot somewhere, and it just collects there,, or even more possible, you just diddnt have a good run anyways that day, so id wait for a few more runs when you know they should run good, and if they dont put sap out the line, well then you have a line problem somewhere.
just my thoughts,
J.C.

02-07-2012, 06:36 PM
Don't worry if you put a pressure gauge on a tap in the middle of the day I will read 15 psi it will push h sap through the tubing

dracmaple
02-08-2012, 05:52 AM
Thanks for the posts guys. Are you guys taped and have you had good runs yet?

spencer11
02-08-2012, 05:54 AM
I got 5 gallons with 40 taps in. Not that impressed, but i think it will get better.

Spencer

Starting Small
02-08-2012, 05:57 AM
Do you need to worry about vapor lock with such a small opertion. I am set up very similarly as you. Is vapor lock only with vacuum operations?

spencer11
02-08-2012, 06:03 AM
I think it's only on vacuum. I have never heard about it with gravity. I have heard that with gravity on 5/16 the tubing needs to be full of sap to cause the vacuum.

Spencer