PDA

View Full Version : sweetened the pans/first boil

SPILEDRIVER
02-07-2012, 04:52 PM
put out 120 taps saturday..picked up 40 gallons sunday and 100 gallons today....flooded the 2x5 drop flue today and boiled off 60 gallons...will boil the rest tommorrow plus what we pick up in the morning,the trees were running decent this morning when we gathered.ive got about a 50/50 mix of sugars and silvers this year,i thought the silvers would be running better than the sugars this early but its just the opposite the silvers arnt doing much of anything.

highlandcattle
02-07-2012, 06:10 PM
Ron had his first boil this a.m. Temps were about 48 degrees yesterday here above the Mohawk Valley(we're at 1, 200 feet) and our woods stay cold. Little to no snow on the ground, but it's frozen. Checked all the lines and fixed leaks. Lots of squirrel damage. Never knew we had so many, but it there are no predators around, that's how it is. Today cold and windy, not running. First batch is the best! Light and smooth with a touch of the woodsmoke, oh, boy here we go! Have orders to fill and hungry people waiting, so let it begin! The new setup seems to be working(2nd year with tubing and vac)He took it all down and started over. live and learn.

adk1
02-07-2012, 09:11 PM
Nice, I am just north of you Highland in Northern Fulton County..I am holding off for another week