PDA

View Full Version : When to start tapping

UNDRBLLY
02-06-2012, 09:48 PM
I live in the Hudson Valley just below Albany. Do I start tapping now or do I wait until the end of February. Will there still be a March run? Will my holes start to dry up if I tap now and Will they still produce until the end of March and into April? Any input would be welcome.

Richard Gagnon

trea_bagger
02-07-2012, 10:24 AM
Hey I’m in the same boat and in the hudson valley actually. I'm in pawling where are you located? Have any equipment you’re looking to unload? I’m new to this and have more questions than answers at this point ha-sorry I’m no help with your question.

UNDRBLLY
02-07-2012, 04:36 PM
I just have a small operation. About 35-40 taps on buckets, sometimes I put out 25 on tubes. My evaperator only does about 10 gallons an hour, so the more taps over 50 the later I boil every night. This season is perplexing to say the least.

ponderingjunkman
02-07-2012, 05:00 PM
I'm near Catskill. Got my 137 buckets in yesterday, and today have over 100 gallons to boil tomorrow. Maybe the taps will dry up early- maybe the weather will be lousy then too... I hate not knowing.

I look at it this way- I'm making Hay while the sun shines! If the season is short, I will get back to everything I have been neglecting to do. If it runs long, and taps dry up, I may look for more trees to tap. We'll see!!

This sure is good fun!

sugarmaple4
02-07-2012, 05:49 PM
I'm in Lagrangeville, I'm taking the gamble of tapping now and getting what I can get while the weather is good. If it warms up and spring comes, the trees bud, then we would be out of luck. It's a gamble either way, but I figure it's worth the gamble. ( I have about 100 taps or so, with a small leader 1/2 pint evap. 3rd year making maple syrup)

UNDRBLLY
02-07-2012, 05:59 PM
Thanks for your input guys! I think I will start next week as I am pretty busy this week. Good luck.