PDA

View Full Version : Tapping in Mercer County 2012

Springfield Acer
02-06-2012, 09:18 PM
Started tapping Thursday 2/2 and couldn't resist placing 50 5/16 taps into buckets by Sunday 2/5 on all sugar maples leaving close to another 40 to 50 for later if needed. Today was the first full day with all 50 and got 36 gal but only 1.5%. Cooler weather is coming. Will boil Wednesday PM.

Second year fanatic
20 x 40 custom pan with dividers and home made steam hood with preheater coil on outdoor masonry "arch".
McCulloch Eager Beaver leaf blower on idle for over fire air manifolds.
600 gal Zero tank with transfer pump (lots of room to grow)
50 5 gal buckets with 5/16 taps and drops.
Arctic Cat 4 wheeler for sap runs

Springfield Acer
02-11-2012, 09:10 PM
We finished off the two day (one night, one day) boil of our collection and finished off 83 gallon of sap to 1-1/2 gal of lightly colored syrup. What a treat here today with 19* and 20 mph winds! Got it down to 4 gallon outside (pan capacity at regular depth) then finished on propane. No sap to mention since Monday and probably none until late next week.

Gary R
02-12-2012, 06:17 PM
Randy, you are stepping up! Your own thread also:) Laura had told me you had tapped, haven't heard much more. Great to hear you have already made syrup. I bet your going to want to move into a building soon. The weather will break soon. Then we will all be playing hooky from work.

Springfield Acer
02-15-2012, 08:45 PM
The sap is starting slowly. I got 15 gallon of 2-1/2 % tonight. Hopefully the sugar content will stay up now. Looking forward to warmer temps Thursday and Friday for another boil Saturday.

hepocole
02-23-2012, 11:17 AM
just starting tapping my trees today...got busy and behind...do you think its too late?

Springfield Acer
02-23-2012, 11:27 AM
I've had a steady flow of about 1 gal per tap the last few days on my 50 buckets with tubing. I actually was thinking that yesterday would be a much bigger yield but it was real average. Now I am wondering about the warmth and buds. I'd seen a few comments earlier this week but nothing yesterday or today. As a 2nd year beginner, I'm curious as to what the locals here are seeing and thinking. The reds here are showing some significant bud growth but the sugars seem to be pretty dormant yet. This is one of the reasons that I tapped all sugars this year.
I've got 150 in the tank and will start boiling again this afternoon. Hopefully the colder weather tomorrow night will buy some more sap flow next week(s)?

Gary R
02-24-2012, 06:08 AM
Springfield Acer, that's pretty good for your trees in the woods. Don't worry about the buds, keep boiling until it tastes bad!

PATheron
02-25-2012, 05:27 PM
Gary- Has anyone heard from Dave Y? Theron

Springfield Acer
03-03-2012, 07:03 PM
We finished up 3+ gallons of very dark syrup today. I'm don't know how to grade but we have gone from apple juice color to orange juice to dark motor oil in three weeks. I thought we were at the end but the dark tastes great. Some of my taps (up to 30 days old) are running slightly yellow and my sap is mildly cloudy but gets a little worse in the tank. As a result I expected what I got this time. The taps have slowed down to the point that I have reamed 1/4" deeper, moved some taps from non-producers to other trees with great success and added 14 more taps that also ran very well. I've added a few more today just to squeeze a few more gallons over the next few days that look good weather-wise. 70 taps now. I think I've topped out......maybe......if I want to.
While planning my exit strategy, I'm thinkg about next year already. I think I need professional help.

Gary R
03-03-2012, 07:39 PM
Great job Springfield Acer! Your going to like that dark stuff. Much tastier than that fancy light stuff:D If you need help, I'll send over a catalog. Just start ordering and don't look at the price. The good freeze the next days should help us a lot.

Springfield Acer
03-04-2012, 04:55 AM
Thanks for the suggestion Gary. I think with that kinda help, maybe I should just rely more on you. Why don't you just order everything I need for next year, add 10% for yourself and just send me the bill. I think I'll even hire out most of the work out and hope that doesn't eat into the profits much. Set me up for about 250 taps on vacuum, a new RO and a new evaporator with all the bells and whistles. None of that cheap stuff either. Get me a nice filter press and of course hire me a contractor to build a nice shack with a TV and wet bar. Would it take a full season to pay for this or could I be in the black in a couple of weeks?

Gary R
03-04-2012, 06:16 AM
I like the 10% deal. I'll start ordering today. They say there is no money in maple syrup. But I bet you could be in the black by the time your grandkids retire:lol:

Sugarmaker
03-04-2012, 08:40 AM
I may need to have Gary start ordering stuff too! Sounds like a good list you have started Springfield Acer. Maybe add a new 1 ton pick up, several stainless tanks, Candy machine, Cream machine, Candy molds, Several new 20V cordless drills for tapping, More beer for the wet bar.:)
Regards,
Chris

Springfield Acer
03-05-2012, 11:23 AM
Thanks for the additional thoughts Chris. You guys here on Maple Trader are real life savers!

Gary R
03-05-2012, 02:06 PM
The trucks are on the way. I'm going to make out better than a Wall street banker:lol: All kidding aside, I know where your at. You look at everything and say if I just do this or that I could make more. The next step is costly and do you want to do it? Have some evenings with the Famous Grouse and think about it. That next step is a very slippery slope. Have a great boil later this week!

Springfield Acer
03-05-2012, 05:16 PM
A slippery slope in deed!