PDA

View Full Version : to vent or not to vent

jkurtz0711
02-06-2012, 05:53 PM
OK so this is my first year doing gravity tubing and I am tapping a hedge row with all these large maples in a straight line. I have run 3/4 mainline to each tree and tied each tree in with 5/16 drops into an 4 way inline tee into the mainline. Due to all the trees in a row I have had no laterals. We ended at the last tree with about a foot of 3/4 mainline sticking past the last 4 way and then stuffed some cheesecloth in the end and wrapped it around to vent. Should I have? I am a plumber by trade and my gut just tells me I need to vent. We had highs in the upper 40s today and frost last night but did not get much of a run on the tubing not near what I got on a few test buckets. Is this due to the vent issue or did I just need to sweetin the lines and get them full?

DrTimPerkins
02-06-2012, 05:57 PM
...Should I have?...

No. Venting is NOT recommended, unless you prefer getting your sap faster, but getting 30-50% less of it.

jkurtz0711
02-06-2012, 06:04 PM
Really even if my main line is not very steep? That's probably why I had more on my old fashion buckets huh? About 50 % more

DrTimPerkins
02-06-2012, 06:53 PM
Yes. Even if your main line is not very steep (that has very little to do with it actually). The issue has less to do with plumbing and more to do with microbes. By allowing make-up air into the system, you're pulling in lots of microorganisms...which will shorten your season drastically by causing taphole "drying". If you've set up your tubing properly, you may even get a little natural vacuum, which will help your production.

Not meaning to beat you up in any way, but get a copy of the North American Maple Producers Manual, or do a search for key words....this question has been answered a hundred times on this forum....twice today even (counting this time).

sugarwoodacres
02-06-2012, 08:15 PM
Im in a transition from buckets to tubing and am using 3 to 4 trees per 5 gal bucket on 5/16 tubing not more than 25 foot runs . production seems about the same but with a smaller tap. Thanks Dr Tim !