PDA

View Full Version : First time tapping

Noah's Ark
02-06-2012, 10:52 AM
Well, i had the day off of work and the girls (15 and 13) and I just tapped 10 trees today, our first attempt at maple syrup making. We will boil it down on an outside fire place with a couple SS hotel pans this year and see how things go. If all goes well we will build a homemade evaporator and maybe a small shack and increase to about 30 taps. I have read quite a bit over the last couple of years getting ready for this. Since this seems to be a very strange year for weather I have a question for any in the area (southern Litchfield county). If it turns cold and the trees quit running will I have to retap or will the same taps run again. I am prepared to just see what happens but since this is my first time I look forward to any suggestions and ideas.

happy thoughts
02-06-2012, 11:01 AM
Welcome to the forum Noah:). You won't need to retap. They will run again. Some days you may get lots and others nothing. Just make sure you can keep the sap cold between runs if you don't have enough for batch boiiling.

Have fun and keep us posted!

valleyman
02-06-2012, 12:26 PM
Welcome Noahs Arc.

I'm south of you down Rt8. I'm a backyarder too. Happy Thoughts is giving you good advise. Keep the sap cold as possible. I found the coldest spot in my yard and I pile snow there and put my sap barrel(s) there. I put a big insulated blanket over my barrel and it works out fine until the tail end of the season. Later in the season I Fill and Freeze 1/2 gal milk jugs with sap and drop in the barrel.

CTfarm
02-06-2012, 12:57 PM
Good Luck Noah's Ark. Just put out 16 buckets this morning here in Durham, CT. All are running, some more than others. Hope to boil on my new Mason Hobby arch weds. First year for me too!

Noah's Ark
02-09-2012, 09:02 AM
Just a quick update, I have collected about 30 gallons and think today should be another 5+. Yesterday was a bit slow, I think we only got about 4 gallons but not sure since the girls collected the sap before I got home from work and te report was it did not even fill the 5 gallon bucket. I have aquired 2 18inch by 24 inch pans and will use them to boil my sap. If all goes well this year I am thinking about building a semi perminate block ark over the summer. I have rigged up some insulation for the storage tank to keep it cold and have it in a shaded and protected area.

My next question is about filtering the syrup before bottling. Is there somewhere local I can get filters or does someone have an inexpensive home remedy/sugestion? I plan to store the syrup in mason jars, we can so I have all of that equipment and spare jars. I will post a couple of pictures from the weekend and our tapping early next week.

Thanks all for the encouragement and help.

hodorskib
02-09-2012, 11:55 AM
Check with any of the local sugar houses (I got my last felt filter from Woodbury Sugar Shed) this along with a hydrometer are the two items that I would never make syrup without. Taken care of the felt filter will last several years. Also, get some paper pre filters - they are cheap and will help the heavy felt filter work better since it will not get glogged up with a lot of the larger sediment. I am in Oakville if you are nearby and want to see my homemade filter tank let me know - very easy to make and works well.