PDA

View Full Version : If anyone is boiling this week

mapleman3
02-06-2012, 10:01 AM
I may do a run around Wednesday night looking for guys boiling near belchertown or sort of close...are you planning on boiling? Let me know I may stop in for a bit. Gotta get my maple fix one way or another

Sent from my Awesome Verizon Droid Charge ! Using Tapatalk

sapbrush
02-06-2012, 10:07 AM
Hi live in belchertown also, and i probably will be boiling wed evening, depending on how it runs the next dew days i do about 30 buckets on a halfpint in the garage

Maxfields maple
02-06-2012, 01:30 PM
Hey Jim,give me a shout at home tonight,im waiting on new pans right now,hopefully theyll be in this week.Id like to do some touring.

mapleman3
02-06-2012, 03:17 PM
949 number still dave? Maybe we can make a plan for wed.

wcproctor
02-06-2012, 07:22 PM
Ha Jim take a ride out to Uxbridge I have been boiling every other day. May even boil every day

MapLewis
02-07-2012, 07:54 AM
Jim,

We will be around and boiling Wednesday eve as well... which leads me to my next question(s).

We are having some conflicting Oil Burner set up issues..(too many techs in the shack). The new Carlin 102 was installed by a guy with 25+ years burner experience... he struggled to get it to burn "clean" with a 3 gph nozzle (along with several different sizes)..adjusted everything. It really seemed like the new burner was "struggling" as he put it. He adjusted pressure, air... He has all he meters & tech equip. so the numbers don't lie. The stack temp was 1100. The flame was shooting way into the flu pan (which the tech said we didn't want?). Frustrated, he then re installed the old burner with a smaller nozzle, increased pressure and he was getting "clean" numbers?!.Stack temp of 800. I could notice a less violent boil in the flue pan but he said we were now burning "efficiently". Being new to the oil, is a clean burn really the goal? or is it hotter the better, even if you are not burning "efficiently"?

Here are our current numbers on the old burner (that he likes): 1.65nozz @ 250psi =2.61gph

He is convinced that the new Carlin 102 is defective (and is bringing it to the East Long factory today to check). The "other guy" i purchased the burner from, claims "bull****, it should work fine if it is installed properly."

Lastly... after 3 boils now...we are having the issue of making syrup in the 2 inside sections of our 4 sect. syrup pan. NOT as much in the last syrup compartment. The old pans are slightly warped...but not enough to restrict the flow to the draw off sect.

I do say though..OIL IS THE WAY TO GO... man is it easier to manage the shack & feed tank shutdown.

Any input would be greatly appreciated...and you will definitely have to stop by when you get a chance.

My cell # 413-427-7820

Thanks,
Bryon

mapleman3
02-08-2012, 09:00 PM
Bryon....I had a blast at your place...great bunch of guys...that's what sugaring is all about....the rig is running great. Your makin syrup ! And yeah a lot easier for us working guys to be able to flip a switch. Keep up the good work...and thanks for the cool stuff
Looking forward to a visit again

MapLewis
02-08-2012, 11:30 PM
Jim & Dave,

Thank You!... great advise & tips...i'm glad you confirmed we are on the right track over here.

You nailed it...sugaring is all about good people for sure.

The door is always open my friend.

2013 Shack Crawl & Beer Tour?!

Maxfields maple
02-09-2012, 06:50 AM
Thank you for having us over.That a great operation you got going there and i see you have alot of good friends to help out.Thank you for the boiling sodas.If ya get a break or get board this season you guys come up and visit in Hardwick.Ive got a small shack but allways a good time boiling....Dave