PDA

View Full Version : Mystery animal chewing tubing-picture

bhart
02-06-2012, 09:28 AM
Here is a picture of the chewing taking place on many of our drops. The chewing, again made with small canines, extends up the entire length of the drop and in many cases is also a foot or so on both sides of the cup tee. There is also some chewing where laterals have sagged or a broken branch has pulled a lateral to the ground. I did check on the New York State DEC website and they do say we are in the fisher's area. I'm curious about those of you who thought it might be a fisher. What leads you to believe a fisher may be responsible? Sightings? Tracks? Thanks again.

mapleack
02-07-2012, 10:27 AM
I have the same problem, don't know what it is either...

Troutman10
02-07-2012, 01:54 PM
Yeah that's odd. I'm not sure what it would be either. On another topic I've been wondering if anyone has had any other critters mess with their sap and accessories before. Would bears or deer like the sweetness of sap and try to eat it?

ennismaple
02-07-2012, 01:59 PM
I'm gonna guess a raccoon did that. We've seen simliar damage in our woods. Deer damage is different, so is bear and squirrel.

whalems
02-07-2012, 03:42 PM
I would agree with Ennismaple looks like coons

Troutman10
02-08-2012, 01:23 PM
I know the damage isn't from a bear or deer, but has anyone ever had any deer or bear get after their sap b/c of the sweetness? I know both animals like sweet things.

ennismaple
02-08-2012, 02:12 PM
Any deer or bear damage we see gets found at the start of the season. I can't recall getting any new damage during the season. They are mostly curiosity bites, not looking for sweet water.

gmcooper
02-08-2012, 06:50 PM
I get some of the same damage that Bhart has in the photo. That is the one issue I have never figured out. Never found any tracks ever near them on the ground. I have had deer chew on lines before and during season. One buck had a thing for gray CDL tubing one year. I would fix it one day and next day he would chew thru a few feet away.

Dave Y
02-08-2012, 08:06 PM
I found a dropline chewed like that when I was tapping on sunday. I would disagree that it was a coon. Havent come up with what caused the damage but I wouldn't think it was a coon. Too many small holes. what ever it is has needle teeth.

Vermonner
02-23-2012, 12:14 AM
could it be Ermine? Tiny version of fisher, but white. Scurry up tree, leave no tracks, nibble and run. Would have tiny needle like teeth.

maple flats
02-23-2012, 04:11 AM
I've had the same and thought it was fishers. A few sections on my mainline also had claw marks that were across the tubing and few if any lengthways. We also thought that the work of a fisher. Now in addition to a squirrel hunter I need to find a fisherman.

maplwrks
02-23-2012, 05:35 AM
I've had the same damage at times--I think it is oppossum.

paul
02-23-2012, 06:16 AM
I think it may be a combination of squirrel and coyottes. pups will chew on drops that are hanging just because they are teething like any puppy. then the red squirrel will chew on the lines and drops on the tree.and lets not forget the porcipine they climb and chew too. we changed out about 125 drops this year while tapping.

GET YOUR GUNS OUT AND DO SOME HUNTING We took out about 7 reds yesterday. It pays to buy a few boxs of shells and have the kids out for the day haveing fun .

driske
02-23-2012, 07:21 PM
We get the same thing here in central WI. I always took it to be young raccoons, possibly doing a teething ritual.. The coyote theory maybe valid as we have plenty of those varmints as well.
Overall deer give us the most grief, bear are second. We have a healthy fisher population , I credit them for keeping the squirrel damage to a minimum.

jputney
02-24-2012, 09:34 AM
How about putting out a deer camera? Should take pictures of whatever animal is chewing. Troutman10 I have had Turkeys poke holes in my bags.

GeneralStark
02-24-2012, 04:30 PM
Wildlife camera is a good idea, but how do you know where they will chew? I have seen some of this and I'll throw porcupines on the list if it hasn't been mentioned.

oneoldsap
02-24-2012, 05:28 PM
could it be Ermine? Tiny version of fisher, but white. Scurry up tree, leave no tracks, nibble and run. Would have tiny needle like teeth.

An Ermine is a weasel wearing his winter coat !

GeneralStark
02-24-2012, 05:32 PM
An Ermine is a weasel wearing his winter coat !

Short tailed weasel.

rayi
02-25-2012, 12:23 PM
Do you have a trail camera like hunters use?