PDA

View Full Version : How far can you go to protect your investment?

Bruce L
02-05-2012, 06:08 PM
As the proud owner of a new high efficiency evaporator for the upcoming season,my concern is how do I protect my investment from ..........let's say those that have nothing better to do than destroy property.I got thinking about that today,as I surveyed the damage done to a little gazebo 1/4 mile from the sugarhouse that someone(have a good idea who,but still being investigated) decided to smash the vinyl spindles out of the handrails around the structure.If it is the same individuals that I heard about,they are the same youths that I explicitly told to leave the sugarhouse last year when they started horsing around,climbing the woodpile,walls,etc.I envy our U.S counterparts,I believe your rights to protect your property are not as compromised as ours.You have the right to bear arms,we must register our guns,store the gun and ammo in separate locations and separately locked up.If there are any problems,we are to phone the local police( a good half hour away) to come and investigate long after the deed is done.
A case in point----local small engine shop,works on snowmobiles,atvs,etc,had a group break into his business to steal parts,gasoline etc early one morning,time he got dressed all he could do was survey his losses.He figured they would be back for more(as this had happened to another small engine shop 7 miles away that was forced to close because of it.)He went to bed dressed,boots beside the bed ready to spring into action.They returned one night for another quick snatch,only to find the owner coming out the door.The culprits jumped into their getaway vehicle,with the owner in hot pursuit.His wife had called police,but he decided to follow them so they wouldn't get away until the police arrived.After a brief pursuit,he bumped into the back of their car to let them know he meant business.Guess who is being charged for endangering lives of these deinquents?He told me he has already had to pay over $5000.00 in legal fees,and the legal system is pushing to have him do jail time for his actions.So I ask,if you find someone stealing your syrup,or destroying your buckets,pipeline,equipment,what do you do,say Stop,the police will be here to deal with this ,and I myself will have to repair or replace the damages you have caused?

WHTTLHNTR
02-05-2012, 08:28 PM
Lead poisoning

sugar ED
02-06-2012, 02:54 AM
Yes ,Bruce it's a shame ! not really sure what I'd do if in canada. but with hard times now aday - the welthy and big store's all having cam/vidio, with police at there beckconing call ect.Who do the thiefs have to rob from ? Oh it's us / the small business,we the people that bust our butts every day trying to make a living ,and can't pay for the high tech cams/cops protection.
Sooooo ....Here in the USA as a land owner, NOW with legal posted signs (every 20ft, on post,not trees ,all around the property) If someome (not welcomed)was to get hurt on something ,say sharp like maybe a spear/bear trap ,rocks falling out of sky/trees, trip wire, ect. THERE TRESSPASSING and I was told by county sheriff just call and they would come out to retrieve what was left of the tresspassor, on my posted land and if still breathing he would be arested .
God forbid they make it into my house ,than the guns will be a blasting! loaded and ready!.
Sounds ruff ! But with family's turning their heads while their son/brother/sister robs there nabor/s (doing it for a living / with nothing better to do than drink /sit around waiting for u to leave ) and will even buy the stolen stuff !!! Than lets go back to the bible- hummm eye for an eye ! cut off the left hand, if stealing /both if he continues ! ect.
It's a good darn thing we don't use copper pans anymore !! and if you do watch out ! even the SS can walk away !
Oh by the way, If ur reading this and live in cny , missing anything , than email me an I will give u the names of the theifs that rob our naborhood ! Cops to busy to deal with the thief ,NO MONEY in that, just work ! Gots to bust on the working people, now thats where the money is ,lawers get paid / judge and town makes money (and not from the theif !thay only got what thay stold from us) !!!
So If your going to stop them !!! do it on your (legal posted ) land, before thay leave ,don't chase them down the road !
I'm with WHTTLHNTR " lead poisoning "

Redmaple
02-06-2012, 05:36 AM
Keep a .45 on my hip and go to the ranch daily. Put a real exterior door on your sugar shack and look into insurance if your having problems already. I would say cameras but most of us don't have electric access. I believe you can pay google earth to record and moniter your property from there satelites for a monthly fee(you can zoom in on a fly on your own property via the internet). Im posting my place like I use google earth just to ward off thieves.

02-06-2012, 05:55 AM
The fake cameras are really convincing if my shack wasn't as close s it is I would have them

Flat Lander Sugaring
02-06-2012, 07:05 AM
black ski mask, gloves, a bar of soap, sock and duct tape. You catch them beat them and then duct tape them to a light pole in the village. The will smell Ivory fresh.
while building my shack I tried to stop and check out every car driving past house ( now I live on a pretty busy county highway) my buddy asks why you stop and look every time. I told him each and every person that drives by is a potential pill poppin, tweeker thief and we all know the ones in our communities. I'v cought a couple of them breaking their necks to look at my building and tools. One got 3 to 5 for running over an elderly man and killing him and ran tried hiding his truck while he was poppin pills have no use for people like that.

MISugarDaddy
02-06-2012, 04:34 PM
One thing you don't want to do is take the law into your own hands or you will be the one being punished. We may have the right to bear arms in the United States, but a person will be prosecuted for defending his property...unless his/her life is threatened and there is no means of escape. My suggestion is to get a couple of trail cameras and set them up to take pictures of anyone who approaches your sugar house. Someone did that recently here in Michigan and the thief was caught because it took multiple pictures of him getting out of his vehicle and entering the house he broke into. Although my wife and I both have concealed carry permits for our handguns and we do make use of the right to have a concealed gun on our person, it would be our last resort to use them. We have both worked at Michigan prisons and know we don't want to be on the inside looking out.

WHTTLHNTR
02-06-2012, 05:59 PM
We had a log splitter (we were borrowing it) stolen this year. Three stainless pans and power tools were right next to it and were not touched. I believe it is someone we knew, which really sucks. On my list thieves, liars, and rapist are the lowest of the low. I would make my last shot my warning shot.

Greenwich Maple Man
02-06-2012, 06:12 PM
One thing you don't want to do is take the law into your own hands or you will be the one being punished. We may have the right to bear arms in the United States, but a person will be prosecuted for defending his property...unless his/her life is threatened and there is no means of escape. My suggestion is to get a couple of trail cameras and set them up to take pictures of anyone who approaches your sugar house. Someone did that recently here in Michigan and the thief was caught because it took multiple pictures of him getting out of his vehicle and entering the house he broke into. Although my wife and I both have concealed carry permits for our handguns and we do make use of the right to have a concealed gun on our person, it would be our last resort to use them. We have both worked at Michigan prisons and know we don't want to be on the inside looking out.

Dead men don't talk. If they are stealing from me they will be there when the cops show up. If they touch any of my family I would shoot them stone dead no questions asked. When they are on my property they play by my rules or drag it.

mapleack
03-01-2012, 10:01 AM
Thankfully Pennsylvania passed the castle doctrine, removing our obligation to flee before using deadly force. If we're in our homes, business or even sugarhouse and feel threatened by an intruder we're allowed to use deadly force without repercussion. I have a conceal carry permit and carry most of the time, and when there's a hint of trouble my 12 ga goes with me too. We've been burglarized multiple times, only caught perpetrators in the act once. Dad had them at gunpoint until the police showed up.

jasonl6
03-01-2012, 10:21 AM
As the proud owner of a new high efficiency evaporator for the upcoming season,my concern is how do I protect my investment from ..........let's say those that have nothing better to do than destroy property.I got thinking about that today,as I surveyed the damage done to a little gazebo 1/4 mile from the sugarhouse that someone(have a good idea who,but still being investigated) decided to smash the vinyl spindles out of the handrails around the structure.If it is the same individuals that I heard about,they are the same youths that I explicitly told to leave the sugarhouse last year when they started horsing around,climbing the woodpile,walls,etc.I envy our U.S counterparts,I believe your rights to protect your property are not as compromised as ours.You have the right to bear arms,we must register our guns,store the gun and ammo in separate locations and separately locked up.If there are any problems,we are to phone the local police( a good half hour away) to come and investigate long after the deed is done.
A case in point----local small engine shop,works on snowmobiles,atvs,etc,had a group break into his business to steal parts,gasoline etc early one morning,time he got dressed all he could do was survey his losses.He figured they would be back for more(as this had happened to another small engine shop 7 miles away that was forced to close because of it.)He went to bed dressed,boots beside the bed ready to spring into action.They returned one night for another quick snatch,only to find the owner coming out the door.The culprits jumped into their getaway vehicle,with the owner in hot pursuit.His wife had called police,but he decided to follow them so they wouldn't get away until the police arrived.After a brief pursuit,he bumped into the back of their car to let them know he meant business.Guess who is being charged for endangering lives of these deinquents?He told me he has already had to pay over $5000.00 in legal fees,and the legal system is pushing to have him do jail time for his actions.So I ask,if you find someone stealing your syrup,or destroying your buckets,pipeline,equipment,what do you do,say Stop,the police will be here to deal with this ,and I myself will have to repair or replace the damages you have caused?

Vote with your feet brother. Lots of maple here. Also our west in the other provinces they are a little more lax. Government is too big.

Jason

twocanines
03-01-2012, 08:09 PM
Triple S baby. Shoot Shovel Shut Up

No crime will ever be reported to the police from my house.

peckfarm
03-03-2012, 07:35 AM
Thieves are generally stupid an lazy. Multiple locks, fake cameras and a range target with 1/4 inch groupings posted on the door would most likely deter even a slightly motivated scum bag. In our neighborhood I have taken to really policing the roads by blocking suspicious traffic with my truck, staring down speeding cars from the middles of the road and sticking my head into the windows of suspicious vehicles just to let people know I am not afraid and I will protect my family. Last week I followed 4 kids who egged my house for a good 40 minutes until they finally stopped at the drug house 2 towns over. It is time that the honest hard working silent majority stop letting criminals run our towns and our countries. That goes for hoodlum kids, addicted adults and big government power hungry politicians. Get loud, get in their faces and know that you are justified.

Clarkfield Farms
03-04-2012, 08:56 AM
New Yorkers should read Article 13 of the New York State Penal Code. Vague and open to interpretation for both sides of the issue; not necessarily a negative thing. But you'd better be ready to spend the rest of your life and all of your money defending yourself from lawsuits and personal harrassment from the survivors of the "victim," aka criminal, aka perp, and every other appropriate low-down name they deserve to have heaped upon them; and that's even if the courts determine that you acted appropriately and within your rights. The only time you're allowed to use deadly physical force upon a person fleeing from you is if you personally witnessed them commit murder, arson or rape, or are so ordered by a peace officer regarding said fleeing person. I know, there's a lot more to it than that but just sayin'...... So, within the context of the question asked, in NY you might have the right to shoot 'em AFTER they torch your sugar house. However, I refer you back to my third sentence in this post.

pa farmer
03-05-2012, 07:46 PM
I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6. You loot we shoot.Just make sure they can't id you and have a good alibet.

4045chad
03-14-2012, 11:03 AM
Strategically placed trail cameras. Most likely it is the neighbors kids.

PerryW
03-14-2012, 01:30 PM
Much as I like killing people, I'd have trouble sleeping after killing the neighbor's kid for messing with my evaporator.

Zamkev
03-14-2012, 03:06 PM
I put a log and 2 bricks in front of my door...

sunapeemaple
03-23-2012, 02:53 PM
rock salt shot gunshell

RileySugarbush
03-23-2012, 07:13 PM
I put a log and 2 bricks in front of my door...

That is pretty intimidating!

Nobody messes with our stuff either.