PDA

View Full Version : Making Syrup in Oxford, NY!

petervb6
02-05-2012, 10:55 AM
Put up about 80 buckets up on the 3rd, ended up with about 100 gallons of sap from the firsts run. River trees tested out at 2% and road side and yard trees are 3%. Hope to have out 30 - 40 more buckets and 100 line taps out in next couple days. Running solar and battery bank in sap house, works great. No more gas sucking genarator. Old CJ2A Jeep is still running strong to gather sap, and the dog is about pooped after only the first night of cooking.

2012 First Year
around 300 taps
2 x 6 wood fired, steam hood, preheater, AOF & AOF
500 gallons of insulated Bulk tanks
10 year old German Wire Hair Pointer
1946 Jeep CJ 2A

KV Sappers
02-05-2012, 02:35 PM
Now that's my kind of Sap gather. Just love those old CJ jeeps. How big are your solar panels and battery bank? When I get my sugarhouse built I would like to go solar.

Put up about 80 buckets up on the 3rd, ended up with about 100 gallons of sap from the firsts run. River trees tested out at 2% and road side and yard trees are 3%. Hope to have out 30 - 40 more buckets and 100 line taps out in next couple days. Running solar and battery bank in sap house, works great. No more gas sucking genarator. Old CJ2A Jeep is still running strong to gather sap, and the dog is about pooped after only the first night of cooking.

2012 First Year
around 300 taps
2 x 6 wood fired, steam hood, preheater, AOF & AOF
500 gallons of insulated Bulk tanks
10 year old German Wire Hair Pointer
1946 Jeep CJ 2A

petervb6
02-05-2012, 06:24 PM
We have made a "portable power pack". Its a hand truck with wooden box that has four slots where a battery sit into. The batterys are just the deep cycle ones that are about 2 inchs longer than car batterys. Then the 1500 watt power inveter is also screwed onto the hand truck. The hole thing can be moved around by hand. Makes it handy to wheel up to the shop where there is heat and power to recharge it when it is not in use. (Batterys and inverter last much longer it you try and avoid letting them get vary cold.) There is a solar panel on the roof, 45 watts I think. We got it from Harbor freight on sale for $150. It usuly keeps the system charged, but we could use a little bit more on the charging side for those long nights of boiling untill morning. It runs 5 lights, radio and 12v water pump. I have and old 97cc 4 stroke motor that we are planing on riging up to an old one wire gm alternator. With that set up a quart of gas should spin the alternator to charge batterys if the sun is not out.

Rugburn
02-15-2012, 02:17 PM
Love those German Wirehair. Yours may be and ancestor to my deceased "Ruger". Anyway, I must have missed that first run you were into. I put a few buckets out this past Monday and haven't had any flow yet. Are your trees still flowing? I'm just North of you by the CCC golf course.