PDA

View Full Version : tapped in Sullivan County

happy thoughts
02-05-2012, 06:54 AM
Forecast was looking too good to wait any longer so I had hubby throw in a couple of test taps yesterday afternoon. We'd been planning to wait 'til the end of the month because temps tend to run cold here though like every one else is saying, it's been a really weird winter.

Boy, is the sap flowing and glad we didn't wait much longer! The sap squirted past the drill bit. We've never seen that happen before in the 5 or 6 years we've been tapping. We collected over 2 gals of really sweet sap in about 4 hours on a single black maple. We're just small time hobby producers here, but probably just as excited as you big guys:). Guess we're gonna have to throw a few more taps in.

Here's hoping for an even better run today, for ALL of us :).

KV Sappers
02-05-2012, 02:50 PM
[QUOTE=happy thoughts;175163] We're just small time hobby producers here, but probably just as excited as you big guys:). Guess we're gonna have to throw a few more taps in.QUOTE]
Happy thoughts, I know what you mean about being small but being excited about tapping. I'm only on 15 buckets and don't look to get much bigger but I sure get excited come maple syrup time. It's a lot of fun and a great hobby to have. I tapped Jan. 24 and have almost 1 1/2 gallons of syrup so far. It's not much compared to the big guys but I'm having a blast making it. Good luck to you.