PDA

View Full Version : Fixing leaks in my pan

malaclemys
02-05-2012, 05:16 AM
I have a homemade stainless pan that is 30" X 70" and had partitions put in by a machine shop. The partitions were tac welded and then soldered to stop flow. Now there are several small leaks at the tac welds. Hopefully the guy will make good on his work, but if he doesn't in time, what is the best way to proceed? Will solder fill the holes at the welds?? Can I solder from the outside bottom of the pan? Should I solder from the inside? Any help would be great. :(

Thompson's Tree Farm
02-05-2012, 06:32 AM
How big is the leak? If it is only a drip, they will probably sugar closed and will be fine to boil with until you scrub the sugar off.

malaclemys
02-05-2012, 06:43 AM
They are small drips - but there are several along the tac welds

seclark
02-05-2012, 07:03 AM
Hi, I would solder them from the inside,outside would melt.Clean the area and use liquid flux made for stainless.I found a flux in my local hardware that is good for stainless and other materials and works for me.BUT don't use a torch,use a soldering iron or the other solder will be affected.If they are small drips this should work fine.Lead free solder of course.Hope this helps.

backyard sugaring
02-05-2012, 09:40 PM
As Thompson said if it is a small leak it will probally seal itself I had a small leak on my drawoff valve and after one hour of boiling it stoped. Good luck. Lee