PDA

View Full Version : Pallets for wood, what is your choice for the nails?

Starting Small
02-04-2012, 08:41 PM
For you who burn pallets, do you throw the nails into the fire box still embedded in the wood and then just clean it out at the end or do you take each nail out? Seems like it would be much quicker to burn the wood with the nails in it and just empty it at the end. Am I missing something?

spencer11
02-04-2012, 08:43 PM
im burning pallets this year and i just throw them in. my grate is made of rebar space about 8" apart. so nothing will get cought in them.

spencer

SeanD
02-04-2012, 10:40 PM
Definitely do not pull the nails. Just throw it all in. They'll fall to the bottom and you can clean them out easily enough when you scoop the ash out between boils. Some get hung up in the grate, but that's no big deal. Just push them through when you are cleaning out the ash.

Sean

Farmboy
02-05-2012, 07:27 PM
I burn some pallets and lumber cut offs. I leave the nails in. Just make sure you dont dump the ashes somewhere you drive or your tires will look like swiss cheese. lol

KenWP
02-05-2012, 07:38 PM
The one thing you have to watch is the nails don't plug your grates.I have had to in a long boil figure out how to remove the nails to get enough air flow going again.

Flat Lander Sugaring
02-07-2012, 06:18 AM
The one thing you have to watch is the nails don't plug your grates.I have had to in a long boil figure out how to remove the nails to get enough air flow going again.

thats the least of my worries Ken, more concerned about nail hitting bottom of syrup pan