PDA

View Full Version : 2 Questions, 1 on steam and 1 on the stack

Starting Small
02-04-2012, 07:12 PM
So 2 questions for you guys, I am confident you can answer as you all have more experience than I do. I know that boiling outside would solve both of these problems but I hate to keep an evaporator outside with no protection from weather.

1. I am planning on boiling in my barn. Would I be able to just let the steam go out a window with the help of a fan? I have a Mason 2X3 with a blower in case that info helps. I have no idea how much steam that wiwll produce. My barn has 2 stories and where I plan to boil has its ceiling about 9 feet high. There are 2 windows and a door that I plan to have open.

2. Since I am planning on being inside, I need to get rid of the smoke. I am not able to cut a hold in my ceilings to get the smoke out through a stack. I was thinking that I could have the stack go up 6 feet and then horizontal 3-4 feet out a window with the aid of an elbow to direct it out. Would this work or would the draft get cut down? Also, does the horizontal part of the stack that is going out the window count in the 2 X the pan length? Also, I am planning on using air ducts for my stack with the elbows wood stove metal. I could not find 6 feet of real wood stove pipe for less than $75.

Thank you all as usual!

backyard sugaring
02-04-2012, 07:38 PM
That is exactly what I did for two years until I put the addtion on my barn. Only one day last year did I had a problem with steam. I took out a window on my barn door and installed a box fan, then I ran my flue pipe into the same opening about 3 feet. It should be noted that I use oil. This year everything will be in the new addtion. Keep an eye on craigslist you may be able to find what you need. Good Luck. Lee

Starting Small
02-04-2012, 07:40 PM
Thank you Lee, do you also use air ducts for your stack?

Maplehobbyist
02-05-2012, 07:46 AM
I would not use air ducts for a stack, especially inside a barn. They aren't made to handle direct heat and with a blower you'll probably be getting some pretty high stack temps. I used them on a crude evaporator I made a few years ago and my shack caught on fire. I don't know if they were the cause but now I'm super cautious and spent the money for real stove pipe. It was a lot, but peace of mind is worth something.

Tom59
02-05-2012, 09:32 AM
Starting small, what type of stove pipe are you looking for? Plain steel or insulated. If its just steel Suffield Hardware on mountain road sells 2 foot sections of 6 inch for $11& change per section. They have plenty in stock, just bought a few pieces for mine. Good luck...Tom

Starting Small
02-05-2012, 01:46 PM
Tom, that is fantastic news, thank you so much. I will swing by tomorrow and pick some up. I know that area well. I owe you one!

backyard sugaring
02-05-2012, 09:33 PM
I would use stove pipe or insulated pipe. Some days last year We didn't run the fan, the steam just went out the window. Good luck Lee