PDA

View Full Version : Carbon, my old nemesis, it's been a while

Groves
02-04-2012, 06:35 PM
Ok, so we pulled the near syrup off the arch and brought it into the safe confines of the garage to finish out in a steam table pan that sits on two gas burners of a 6 eye stove.

Can't leave it on the arch, cause I might risk burning it. Can't leave it on the arch, because I could scorch the whole batch. I could turn it all into a black mess and we cannot have that.

I must bring it to safety, to adjustable burners and fluorescent lighting.

Well, crap.

My attention was diverted just enough to let the foam get going. Foaming touching the hot sides of the pan doesn't retreat, it advances like a well trained infantry.

Oldest son says, "It smells like something is burning."

Indeed.

The pan is just fine, protected by the foam for the most part.

The stove took a hit, though. Burners, grates, and the floor nearby. Ugh.

Pans you can fill with vinegar. What do you do for stovetops? Anyone used Carbon-Off?

Bucket Head
02-04-2012, 10:02 PM
I'm sorry to hear of your "incident". We've all been there. I am not familiar with Carbon-Off, but right about now its a no-holds-barred fight. I'd try it, whatever it is. What about an oven cleaner? Its supposed to work on the inside- it oughta do something top side, right? Invest in some scotch-brite pads and start limbering up your elbows. The cleaners, the pads and a lot of elbow grease should get the stove back closer to pre-incident condition. Good luck.

Steve