PDA

View Full Version : building a paralel pre heater and hood

bart61
02-04-2012, 11:14 AM
I'm building a paralell preheater and hood for my 2 by 6 evap. Is there a preference to having a peeked hood or a some what more rounded to a small flat space on top? I've seen pictures both ways on maple traders. Does condensation run off one of them better than the other.

made it through my first post.

Bucket Head
02-04-2012, 05:34 PM
Congratulations! Welcome aboard. I would say the less "flat roof" you have the better. Condensation will run down a sloped surface, but the droplets that form on the flat top of a hood just drop back into the sap. Although the preheater drip tray may catch a lot of them. Depends how big that ends up being. Hope this helps.

Steve

wiam
02-04-2012, 06:43 PM
Once the hood gets up to operating temp there will not be much condensation any way, on the hood. Mostly it will be on the preheater.

bart61
02-04-2012, 06:56 PM
I am using the drip channels under the copper tubing method for removing the condensation that forms on the tubes so there wont be a tray under it to catch any residual drops. I'm also puttig a small round catch pan under the stack to catch it's condensation or do you think thats just overkill. Thanks everybody for your in put.

Bucket Head
02-04-2012, 10:10 PM
I think the catch pan under the stack is a good idea since your your not having a tray. You want to 'catch' all that you can- why boil the water twice!

Steve