PDA

View Full Version : how to pay person who works with me...

tuckermtn
02-04-2012, 06:45 AM
I have a woman who works with me during sugaring season. She is full time farmer the rest of the year. Someone suggested that I should consider paying her with a percentage of the season's production, and she would there for qualify as something like a share-cropper. No idea if this is legitimate. I would think that we could structure something that she could take the syrup and sell it as she sees fit (she has a farm stand and does several farmers markets) and she could sell what she doesn't want back to me for a pre-arranged bulk price.

Is anyone else familiar with this kind of arrangement? Kind of like the guys on the crab boats who get "shares" of the season's catch.

-thanks-

Eric

Redmaple
02-04-2012, 06:50 AM
With my sap season help I keep track of hours like a normal job but they get paid in sap, syrup, or cordwood.

spencer11
02-04-2012, 07:31 AM
my best friend is helping me this year. we agreed one paying him 10% of what he helps me make. so for 1pt.($10) he would make a dollar. that how im doing it.

spencer

jim finen
02-13-2012, 07:24 AM
I think all of the guys ideas are ok...the thing you have to remember is that no mater how big or small your operation is, it is a labor of love. If you add up all the hours spent on EVERYTHING and then look at what you have as a final product,pay all the expenses for all your materials....What is left? How much can you afford to pay out and still make a little $. You have to agree on a doller amount no matter what. If you make 25 gallons are you willing to give 10% to the "help"...If you make 2500 Gallons are you willing to give 10% of that as well? I feel every one has a different "scale" of there production and that if you have help during the season that each aggrement between owner and their help has to be different. As long as everyone is happy and has fun that is the most important thing! Just my thoughts, Good luck to all this season!!!
Jim

Dave Puhl
02-13-2012, 09:33 AM
For me I cannot have someone resell my syrup unless you are inspected and passed by USDA...I can sell direct to the consumer..make her a co owner and she can sell your/her syrup at the stands....just write up a simple agrement so you and her remember what you agreed on ...keep it simple and fun.....

Amber Gold
02-13-2012, 09:51 AM
I've heard of this from someone else, think it makes sense, and is what I'd like to do. I don't know if it's legit or not, but I don't think it makes sense for him and I to file the necessary paperwork for the nominal amount he's going to make for helping me out this season.