PDA

View Full Version : Finger Lakes 2012

Troutman10
02-03-2012, 06:39 PM
Tapped my first 3 (2 silvers and not sure about the other one). The taps today were dripping once a second or quicker. Excited to get things up and running like everyone else I'm sure. Forecast looks decent for the next few days. Good luck everyone!

adk1
02-03-2012, 06:48 PM
3taps?? Dont you have any more than that around you to tap? IF you get to 12 taps that would be good, at least you would get something for your labor???

davey
02-10-2012, 08:02 PM
My first year I didn't even tap. I just stuck a milk jug over a broken branch. I'd say you are way ahead of where I started. Have fun this year. Stop over anytime, I'm not too far from you

Troutman10
02-11-2012, 09:38 PM
Had my 7 taps in since Monday and am wondering if I should have waited or not. Boiled for my second time ever and first time this year. Got 8 oz. short of a quart! Time to decide who will get some and how much I'll get. Davey, I bought my stuff from you (starter kit last year and 4 more taps/bags last week). I intend to be back again before the end of the season for more taps.

Anyone else tapped in the Fingerlakes?

wnybassman
02-12-2012, 08:19 AM
Anyone else tapped in the Fingerlakes?

I'm a little west of you over in NE Wyoming County. I'm still holding off. This coming week doesn't look ideal either with highs in the mid 30's and maybe one day in the upper 30's, but it drops again for the weekend. Won't be long and I'll be putting them in when I normally do. At least we have a little snow cover now, about 5 or 6 inches.

Ace_R
02-13-2012, 08:25 AM
I went ahead and pulled the trigger, figured might as well. Only 10 taps this year, but trying to get my neighbor involved......so there might be potential for more! Good luck to everyone--here's hoping for a prosperous season!

lakeview maple
02-13-2012, 11:31 AM
Awesome for all ,its great to start out and see what you get no matter how few or how many,large or small its always great to see the fruits of your labor,Good luck to all and may your sap be 3%,Al

Ace_R
02-15-2012, 02:53 PM
Yesterday was good run for me, 10 buckets--8 gallons of sap; I say not too bad.....if things continue this way I will be boiling this weekend!

Ace_R
02-17-2012, 04:19 PM
Made a quart and a half of syrup last night from 17 gallons of sap. And collected another 7-8 gallons of sap today.....lookin' pretty good for this season already!

Troutman10
02-26-2012, 05:20 PM
Second boil of the season yesterday. Made my first full gallon with about 40 Gallons of Sap! Keep finding ways to improve upon my setup and boil process. Got the OK from a guy to take a fuel oil tank off his property. Looks like that will be my setup next year instead of my very crude block setup. How's everyone else doin?

wnybassman
02-26-2012, 07:12 PM
How's everyone else doin?

An hour west of you I bottled up my first 2 gallons the other day, have another 2+ gallons worth still in the pan and have about 30 gallons of sap sitting on ice, which I hope to boil tomorrow afternoon if the wind isn't too wicked and if the trees run more.

bowtie
02-27-2012, 11:52 AM
i have bottled about 7 gallons of light A, and have about 1 gallon on the evap and about 110 gallons of slushy sap that i hope melts down enough to boil tonight. with todays weather i should have about 150 -200 gallons more for tomorrow. wishing i had a small r/o or a bigger evap. maybe next year.

Troutman10
03-06-2012, 01:22 PM
Looking forward to what Weds. & Thurs. have to offer! Hopefully will get a good amount. How's everyone doing?

wnybassman
03-06-2012, 05:15 PM
Looking forward to what Weds. & Thurs. have to offer! Hopefully will get a good amount. How's everyone doing?

Doing OK over here. Have finished off 5 3/4 gallons of syrup so far. Was hoping for a better run today, but I guess after that hard freeze it will take a bit to get the trees going again. Got some sweet in the pan yet and some sap in 5 gallon buckets about 3 inches deep frozen solid to keep my larger containers cool if/when the next big run hits.