PDA

View Full Version : taps in !!!

B.D.L
02-03-2012, 03:42 PM
just finished my 55 taps, its a little early this year, hope it dont bite me in the butt!!:o

spencer11
02-03-2012, 04:23 PM
im thinking about tapping tomorrow. i have 80 taps and im tapping the 50-60 that are on CV's so the holes dont close up as soon. still gonna wait for the buckets. whats the forcast look like for you? in s. nh its gonna be up and down a little, with a high of 40's and a low of 30's during the day for the next week. hope it get a little warmer soon!

spencer

Redmaple
02-03-2012, 05:24 PM
I'm tapping 100 trees out of 2200 so I can watch and see what happens to the holes and taps in these conditions. I want to know what to expect if the same weather is around next season. I was told that drilled holes take about 8 weeks to close up naturaly and that my taps would simply just freeze and thaw out again along with the temprature like any night during the season(below freezing).

Troutman10
02-03-2012, 05:45 PM
What happens to taps if the air temps do go down and there is a big freeze? Does it do damage to the tree, will ya have to re-tap or can ya keep on using the same hole after the temps go back up again?

spencer11
02-03-2012, 06:03 PM
you can still use the same hole and it doesent hurt the tree. if you have buckets the microbs in the sap will close up the hole faster than it would with check valves because when the tree freezes it creates a negitive pressure and will suck the sap back into the tree. if on tubing it does that. with buckets it just sucks the ammount in the tap back in. that is why they make check valves.

spencer