PDA

View Full Version : Stolen Sap Tanks VT

OldManMaple
02-03-2012, 01:08 PM
From the Springfield VT. Police Facebook Page:

The Springfield Police Department is seeking information regarding the theft of three (3) beige-colored, 275-gallon metal oil tanks from a pull-off on Woodbury Road. The tanks were being used by a local farmer for sap storage. The theft occurred between January 24th (Tuesday) and January 27th (Friday). Anyone with information on this theft is asked to contact Sergeant Gregory Molgano at 885-2113. Should you wish to remain anonymous you may use the "Tip Page" located at our webpage.

jasonl6
02-03-2012, 01:51 PM
edit *** Nm

AYR TIME
02-03-2012, 06:30 PM
Oil tanks for sap storage??? I sure hope not!

Justin Turco
02-07-2012, 07:40 PM
Yeah...the thiefs will go to jail for stealing....and the sugarer will go to jail for using those tanks for sap storage!

Amber Gold
02-08-2012, 06:58 AM
There's someone in NH c-list selling an oil tank for sap storage...

smokeyamber
02-08-2012, 08:56 AM
A clean new oil tank, is it anything other than bare metal inside ? Just curious, can't imagine using one myself... would be impossible to clean. Now if you cut the top off... lined with a epdm foodgrade liner... you would be spending enough to buy a cage tank !

Bucket Head
02-08-2012, 09:07 PM
Exactly! Why do people still consider these tanks over any of the other, acceptable, food grade, food safe, non-rusting, equall money selling price, storage vessels? I just don't get it and I guess I never will.

Steve

markct
02-10-2012, 10:33 PM
Just a thought, without knowing all the details, yet having seen how the news media mixes up some stuff, could the original description have been something like " they were beige colored tanks with a metal cage like the ones you see people storing oil in" and then the news folks shortened etc and the actualy meaning is lost, i have seen it happen before! A plastic cage tank is alot more common for sap storage and is also 275 gallons, and is beige in color kinda?

Murphy's Law
02-11-2012, 03:54 AM
Just a thought, without knowing all the details, yet having seen how the news media mixes up some stuff, could the original description have been something like " they were beige colored tanks with a metal cage like the ones you see people storing oil in" and then the news folks shortened etc and the actualy meaning is lost, i have seen it happen before! A plastic cage tank is alot more common for sap storage and is also 275 gallons, and is beige in color kinda?
Yup. That's exactly how most news reports work. About 50% (or less) first hand knowledge hits the streets.

maple flats
02-11-2012, 06:08 AM
I think markct hit the nail on the head!

Thad Blaisdell
02-11-2012, 06:11 AM
From the Springfield VT. Police Facebook Page:

The Springfield Police Department is seeking information regarding the theft of three (3) beige-colored, 275-gallon metal oil tanks from a pull-off on Woodbury Road. The tanks were being used by a local farmer for sap storage. The theft occurred between January 24th (Tuesday) and January 27th (Friday). Anyone with information on this theft is asked to contact Sergeant Gregory Molgano at 885-2113. Should you wish to remain anonymous you may use the "Tip Page" located at our webpage.

This says it came straight from police facebook page. Not 3rd or 4th hand.

Greenwich Maple Man
02-11-2012, 06:52 AM
I agree with all of you on the fact that these tanks "may not" be food grade. However the sugarmaker who had them was not breaking any laws. Ethical law ,100% yes. I think the point of the thread was that some piece of trash stole his tanks. That is breaking a law and is stealing. It dosn't make a difference if the guy had cage tanks or new ss round bottom tanks. He had his tanks stolen and I can feal for him.

OldManMaple
02-11-2012, 07:54 AM
Maybe someone said "looks like an oil tank". I've seen water buffalo tanks that look like oil tanks, Google "water buffalo tank" and click images.
I first saw the story on ch. 22, but it was almost word for word what was on facebook

smokeyamber
02-13-2012, 04:31 PM
Someone pointed out that maybe the description was inaccurate so I retract my comments about improper storage containters. In addition if someone stole my nasty ugly barrel evaporator I would be be mighty upset. It certainly would not win any beauty contests, but makes my syrup just fine.

It is really sad what is getting stolen and sold for scrap. Hopefully the farmer can get them replaced in time for sugaring.

Trail cameras are being used to try and stop some of this stealing in remote locations for just this reason.