PDA

View Full Version : Commercial Licensing in PA

happy thoughts
02-03-2012, 07:39 AM
I'm far, far away from producing enough syrup in volume to consider selling it, but for future reference, what's the process for commercial sales licensing in PA? Do you need food handler certification? Will an outdoor arch fly if the finishing is done indoors or do you need to go the whole route with a sugar shack?

Thanks in advance for any info you can give me. Hope you all have terrific seasons! Not even tapped yet but I'm sure excited :)

Maplewalnut
02-03-2012, 08:22 AM
Happy thoughts- you can contact the state dept of Ag for specifics. Here are some high level requirements. You must be inspected yearly by Dept of Ag. They require an enclosed building, my inspector even checked for screens in windows. It also needs to have a concrete floor. Labels must comply with FDA labeling code which they will check. Water sample must be taken each year. Mine checks for type of defoamer used and how much (if any) galvanized is used. You may not 'finish' on the rig and must have a separate finishing location. Mine laso checked for rodent control measures. He also had a safety checklist if you give tours or sell from the sugarhouse

happy thoughts
02-03-2012, 09:45 AM
Thanks, Maplewalnut. Much appreciated.

Sounds likes it's going to remain a hobby until I win the lottery :)

Maplewalnut
02-03-2012, 10:05 AM
No problem. The list looks more intimidating than it really is. There is some variation depending on your inspector also. Have a good year

happy thoughts
02-03-2012, 10:32 AM
Wow! Is that your sugar shack? Beautiful job and a labor of love I'm sure! I'm impressed:)

You have a good year, too. Are you tapped yet? Though the forecast looks right, I've been sitting on the fence a little NW of you. Don't know what to make of this winter:confused: Last year I tapped mid February and probably could have waited a little longer. This year I'm afraid if I wait that long I'll miss the good runs even though I only expect to make a few gallons.

Turtlecreek
02-03-2012, 11:09 PM
Wow you guys have a tough inspector over there. My inspector was here on Monday and did a preinspection of sorts and he will be back when I call him and tell,him that I'm boiling. He checked my kitchen and all of my finishing equipment, then he wanted to see my bottles and labels. He looked at my evaporator setup and wanted to now where I set up the evaporator and I showed him and told him I use an ez up tent and he was good with that.

When he comes back I will show him my water test and give him my 35 bucks.

jmayerl
02-04-2012, 08:00 AM
Wow you guys have a tough inspector over there. My inspector was here on Monday and did a preinspection of sorts and he will be back when I call him and tell,him that I'm boiling. He checked my kitchen and all of my finishing equipment, then he wanted to see my bottles and labels. He looked at my evaporator setup and wanted to now where I set up the evaporator and I showed him and told him I use an ez up tent and he was good with that.

When he comes back I will show him my water test and give him my 35 bucks.

Wow that's crazy that your state will liscense you making syrup outside!