PDA

View Full Version : recommendations on blower for 2x4 evaporator

lafite
02-03-2012, 06:33 AM
the season is upon us in Southern CT. I am looking for some budget conscious recommendations for a blower for my GBM 2x4 evaporator. I'm still a couple years away from upgrading my unit so any help in increasing efficiency would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance!

Dill
02-03-2012, 08:58 AM
for really cheap and easy just direct something into the draft door. A leaf blower will work if you can adjust it down and don't mind listening to it. I used a power draft off a propane water heater on my 2x4 and shot it right through the draft door.

crawflyer
02-03-2012, 09:18 AM
I was using a simple house fan into my draft door. It makes a world of difference. I am going to install a permanent, low cfm blower just because the fan is kind of in my way.

fishman
02-03-2012, 10:54 AM
Hairdryer, just don't use the heat setting.

lafite
02-03-2012, 04:19 PM
I saw mason had one for $150 plus shipping. I might try my leaf blower until the sound drives me crazy...

I have 40 taps in on gravity with another string of 20 to put up tomorrow along with all the single trees....ready set go.....Mother nature has spoken in Southern CT!!

Flat47
02-03-2012, 06:11 PM
How about more stack? More stack would give you more draft, and therefore maore air. Cheap, too.
I made a blower from a blower off of an old Ashley wood stove. Worked ok until one day I forgot to turn it back on after adding wood. It boiled better without the blower once I get a good fire going. Now I just use it during startup.

GramaCindy
02-03-2012, 06:27 PM
I was using a simple house fan into my draft door. It makes a world of difference. I am going to install a permanent, low cfm blower just because the fan is kind of in my way.
That is exactly what I did last year on my Mason 2x4, worked perfect. I am changing it up a bit this year. Moving it every time to load wood was a bit of nuisance.

sbingham
02-04-2012, 07:58 PM
My first rig was a GBM 2x4 with flat pan, best I could get was about 8 gph evaporation rate. I had a Stanley blower/fan for drying floors, etc - I took plastic jug that was rectangular shaped {sidewalk salt}, cut out the bottom to fit the fan and cut the neck to fit a 3" stove pipe with an elbow, sealed with duct tape.
Run the forced air up into the draft door under the fire and increased the evaporation rate by 2 gallons per hour. Doesn't seem like alot but over the course of a day it helped.

lafite
02-04-2012, 08:36 PM
thank you all for the recommendations. Scott: 20+% increase in evaporation rate is huge with this rig. I'm looking forward to maximizing my efficiency.