PDA

View Full Version : Fire brick or arch board?

Starting Small
02-02-2012, 08:27 PM
So I am purchasing an evaporator and cannot seem to find any place locally that has fire brick. The evaporator does have arch paper installed (scroll all the way down on the left http://www.wfmasonwelding.com/evaporators.html) do you guys think it would be alright to use without the firebrick a few times? Also, is firebrick necessary is I have arch paper? Bill Mason has been fantastic and very patient with me, I just hate to keep bothering him with these questions!

Jec
02-03-2012, 05:42 AM
You are going to need something to cover the insulation. It will be destroyed by the wood. Your best bet is to wait until you cover it.
Joey

sapbrush
02-03-2012, 09:54 AM
Chicopee mason supply in chicopee mass has all the firebrick you want hope this helps jim

rookie
02-04-2012, 08:05 AM
you have to have a woodstove or pellet stove shop driving distance. they should have fire brick. i got mine at lowes, if its not an item stocked in a store near you they can probly order it for you. def dont use your rig until you potect that insulation

red maples
02-04-2012, 02:49 PM
The fire brick protects the insulation...yeah you need it at the very least in the firebox! And do be careful those fire place stores can rip you off something awful for fire brick.. I walked into one they wanted $4 per brick I amost fell over I need a bunch man. got them for man I forget $1.50 or something maybe even less few years ago now!!!

Starting Small
02-04-2012, 04:46 PM
I bought the cement to install the fire brick but I am already thinking towards next year. There is a decent chance that I will sell this evaporator and get a bigger one next year. Should I cement these in or just prop them up using angle iron so then I can take them out at the end of the year before selling. Or do you think I should just sell it complete and not take the fire brick out and cement them in now?

CTfarm
02-07-2012, 01:05 PM
5303 Finished insulating the arch.
5305A couple of hours work on bricking.
5321Ready for the stack and adhere
the pan gasket.
5328The first Boil!

Dill
02-07-2012, 02:39 PM
Mine on are year 3 of not being cemented in.

eustis22
02-07-2012, 05:11 PM
mine are not cemented in

CT...no arch towards the flue?

CTfarm
02-08-2012, 07:24 PM
Arch finished today. See below. I'm not cementing in this year. will have to move it at the end of the season.