PDA

View Full Version : Best place to buy bottles?

RubberDuck
02-02-2012, 01:24 PM
Hey Everyone,

In past years when sugaring for my own uses I've simply used mason jars, but this year I plan to give some of my bounty away as gifts to friends. Can anyone recommend an economical way to get 8 or 12oz syrup bottles? I've found a few places like SKS, but you get killed on the shipping.

Thanks
Chris

adk1
02-02-2012, 01:30 PM
HONESTLY, I would stay away from the plastic jugs...Dont know if that is what you were thinking or not. Nothing wrong with a mason jar that is for sure, can be decorated and labels added.

crawflyer
02-02-2012, 01:46 PM
I bottled up some in 12 oz beer bottles. just filled them to the top and capped them as you would home brew. I found some wood topped T-cork stoppers that fit perfectly and I wired one to each bottle. with a creative label they make great gifts. just opened one that I canned at the end of the season last year and it was fine. so I guess the beer caps work in reverse as well.

RubberDuck
02-02-2012, 02:06 PM
Yeah, I wasn't thinking plastic. I was thinking more like the traditional glass 8oz or 12oz bottle with glass handle.

Paddymountain
02-02-2012, 02:34 PM
There is a place in Lancaster,Pa that sells bottles. don't know how far away you are in Md, but they are economical. Filmore Container Co

spencer11
02-02-2012, 03:18 PM
Check out bascoms, I think I'm gonna order some from them. I don't know that the shipping is but if you buy a case of 250 ml or 500ml it's fairly cheap. Not sure if that size is to small but I think it's big enough for a gift.

Spencer

Starting Small
02-02-2012, 03:24 PM
whats wrong with plastic?

warners point
02-02-2012, 07:02 PM
I talked to Roths in Wisconsin last week about their glass bottles. $9 per case of 12. I asked about shipping since it is a 4 hour drive one way. It costs around $6 per 6 cases and it is delivered to the sugar shack the next day. Way cheaper than driving all that way and I don't have a trunk full of jars to haul up.

kdawger
02-02-2012, 07:54 PM
ordered from themaplestore (jakemans) last year. Kinda pricey, but I wanted the cool maple leaf bottles and to get anything shipped from the us to canada kills me.

lpakiz
02-02-2012, 08:50 PM
Crawflyer,
Where did you find the beer bottle stoppers??

Starting Small
02-02-2012, 08:53 PM
With plastic is there a fear of the plastic leaking a toxin in to the syrup or is it a cosmetic thing?

warners point
02-02-2012, 09:01 PM
Where did you find the beer bottle stoppers??

Check this place out

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/

Since they are convenient for me I usually get my cleaning supplies from them. It also makes for another hobby when the sap isn't running.

Daren
02-03-2012, 06:30 AM
Not sure if the comment about plastic was based on off flavors if stored for long periods but some say it does. I don't think mine has ever sat long enough for that to happen. I think the metal containers are worse in that regard. Imparts a metallic aftertaste by about the time it gets to a year old.

happy thoughts
02-03-2012, 07:05 AM
whats wrong with plastic?

I haven't read of taste changes as another poster commented but I know syrup will darken after a few months storage in plastic. The Cornell maple site recommends that all syrup stored in plastic be refrigerated. I'd assume that's to help slow the color change.

For gifting, I's probably go glass if only because the syrup will look beautiful even without wrapping:)

Mark
02-03-2012, 07:22 AM
Try Anderson's in Cumberland, Wi. If you buy the glass by the pallet he gives a nice discount.

dgp219
02-03-2012, 09:01 PM
If you want a cool looking glass container check out this, not inexpensive, http://www.apofvt.com/

S Culver
02-04-2012, 04:54 AM
Rubberduck

Brenemens Maple in Salisbury PA has the 8 and 12 oz flat bottles for around $ 9$ a case. Was there this week loading up on them. It shouldn't be to far of a drive. He has others in both glass and plastic just need to wander around and look in boxes. Henry is Amish so bring a flashlight as those cases are stored in a dark room so it helps. He currently seems to have a lot of used equipmet right now. Helped him load a RO on the back of one guys truck and he had 2 more right there. He had several used filter presses and new vac setups and what seemed like 100 miles of tubing. Of course one guy loaded up 50 rolls of tubing while I was there He is hard to get a hold of but if you call he will call back.

Good luck