PDA

View Full Version : does under he flue pan need bricks?

Farmboy
02-02-2012, 12:23 PM
I put arch board and im.going to put vermiculight under the flue pan? The firebox and wall behind firebox is bricked.

wiam
02-02-2012, 01:18 PM
I think you will want something over the vermiculite to keep it in place. I would think it would blow around even from natural draft. I have heard of putting a skim coat of mortar over it.

adk1
02-02-2012, 01:33 PM
I have 2" ceramic blanket. I will be adding half brick directly under the flues. I was concerned about amount of space, as I will only have like 1/4" between the bottom of the flues (drop flue) and the top of the 1/2 brick. But in my research I ahve found that the less space the better as it forced the draft between the flues and not under it..makes sence. The bricks are also going to protect the blanket when I brush them. I do not plan on binding them together with refractory cement at all

Skarda Maple Farms
02-02-2012, 02:05 PM
I just got done bricking in my evaporator. I also did some research and wasn’t sure if I should brick in the bottom of the far part of the arch. I did just because the bricks were cheap. Now I have about 4 inches between my bricks and the top of the 7in raised flues. About two weeks from now I plan to do a 6-8 hour test boil and see if I get the right boil. I plan to add wash stone in the box to bring it closer to the flues if my numbers are low.

argohauler
02-02-2012, 05:57 PM
I filled my flue pan space level full with sand and made a dip at the back at the stack. Works great.

Farmboy
02-02-2012, 06:55 PM
My plan is to fill it with vermiculite then brick over it. I will pick up the vermiculite tomorrow or saturday.