PDA

View Full Version : No more Galvanized Bucket????????????????

PFHII
02-02-2012, 07:05 AM
has anyone else heard that this is the last year you can use galvanized buckets? I heard this yesterday but cant find it anywhere,... please help if you might know whats going on.

wiam
02-02-2012, 07:14 AM
You can not store syrup in galvanized as of January 1,2012. Vt rule. I have heard nothing about buckets.

PFHII
02-02-2012, 07:18 AM
Yep we knew that about barrels but we were looking at buying more buckets this year but someone told my husband we could no longer use glavanized as of Jan 2013 and I cant find it on the internet or Vermont maple assoc. page.

spud
02-02-2012, 07:32 AM
has anyone else heard that this is the last year you can use galvanized buckets? I heard this yesterday but cant find it anywhere,... please help if you might know whats going on.

I had a dealer tell me the same thing about a month ago. Turns out they were wrong. You can't use galvanized on anything that touches syrup only. If your organic you can't use galvanized on anything.

Spud

bowtie
02-02-2012, 11:12 AM
i think it's just a matter of time before galv. goes bye-bye. i am buying aluminum buckets and will probably not use any galv. past this year why take a chance and aluminum is cheaper anyway.$4 for used alum, new galv. are close to $15-$20 in catalogs. i would not purchase used ones anymore never know the age and unless you lead test them, to me it just isn't woth it, my 50 galv buckets will used as decorations.

Fred Henderson
02-02-2012, 05:47 PM
You had better take your kids out of school because most shools have lead based solder in their copper pipes. Also be sure to ask when traveling a staying at motels and hotels if they too have lead solder in their pipes If all you ate was syrup then I can see where the lead could be and issue. Just my 2 cents.

02-06-2012, 05:51 AM
My dealer also said no more galvi in Vermont and that was why they had a trailer full of them

abbott
02-06-2012, 07:05 AM
In Maine, MOFGA certified organic producers cannot use galvanized buckets after this year. I suspect that NOFA has the same rule.

Flat Lander Sugaring
02-06-2012, 07:09 AM
guess will start switching to plastic storage tanks.
I know a supply house for plumbing parts he sells all the brass or bronze plumbing fittings that have lead in them to NY state plumbers because they are still allowed to use those fittings, VT plumber cant

02-06-2012, 07:28 AM
In Maine, MOFGA certified organic producers cannot use galvanized buckets after this year. I suspect that NOFA has the same rule. but they are allowed to put syrup in nasty epoxy lined barrels makes no sense