PDA

View Full Version : Some in Geauga County have begun

sapsuker
02-01-2012, 09:14 PM
http://www.wkyc.com/news/article/228226/3/Maple-syrup-flowing-in-Geauga-County

Rudder
02-04-2012, 08:44 PM
I started tapping today and should be done tomorrow(Sunday). Weather will be prime this upcoming week with lows in the upper 20's and highs in the 40's. Crazy year for weather.

heus
02-05-2012, 07:07 AM
We tapped buckets Friday night and Sat morning next door in Ashtabula County. Sap was running good on my big trees.

mapleguy
02-09-2012, 06:17 AM
started tapping Wed. afternoon should finish sometime Friday decided after seeing next weeks weather that this season may be a short one hope not but seems like we are not going to break this pattern we are in. temps may start to progressively continue to warm as we go through time I think that should be obvious

jason grossman
02-11-2012, 08:28 AM
we have been running for two weeks and are over 100 gallons. i know some over 250 gallons. taking a break with the freeze up this weekend and recharging for the next run. pays to be ready and tap early.

mapleguy
02-11-2012, 11:51 AM
just finished friday afternoon [tapping] I'm going to be real interested in knowing if tapping really early like so many have if your season will be shortened or if you have to retap still alot of guys around me have yet to tap seems like the weather is going to the colder side and more normal have to wait and see

christopherh
02-11-2012, 04:52 PM
I believe there was a study done on early tapping, and from what I remember it didn't yield much more sap. It probably didn't take into consideration of check valve spouts, vacuum&tubing either. The end of the season totals should be pretty interesting this year.

mapleguy
02-12-2012, 06:53 AM
I normally tap around valentines day and have been told the same about yield most around here like to wait until presidents day the earliest ever I have tapped was the 8 of Feb, and the latest was last year on the 28th and boiled until the 9th of April used the cvs and was really impressed we will see this year do like the snow and cold we are having though

tom jr.
02-12-2012, 07:42 AM
I started tapping on thursday to make it snow this weekend and it worked:lol: earliest i tapped was feb 4th in 2002, sap didnt run till the 15th when i decided to tap the rest of the woods.that winter was warmer and stranger than this one. turned out to be a very good year. the latest i tapped was march 15th in 08 so much snow and cold couldnt get in the woods, again another good year.I will finish tapping this week about 300 more to go. hopefully i find some doors by the weekend:o

christopherh
02-12-2012, 08:37 AM
Wondering were you've been Tom, good to hear from you!

mapleguy
02-12-2012, 08:54 AM
looks like may get a run wed. and thurs. long range forecast from accu weather nxt. 15 days is looking normal for this time of year should see some decent runs subject to change of course

tom jr.
02-12-2012, 11:18 AM
good to hear from you to chris, been one of the buisiest summers ever for me work wise so nothing maple related got done. just got back from minnesota on the
5th was ice fishing and practicing up on boiling soda consumption! I am behind the ball big time this year so this snow is a blessing. good luck to all.

christopherh
02-17-2012, 05:48 PM
Started tapping today!! Put 100 in and will finish up tomorrow with another 200. Sap was running well!

tom jr.
02-18-2012, 06:00 AM
well, my woods is full of bad ju ju this year. I went to pump 600 gal of sap on thursday and discovered a tree rat had chewed a hole in my pump line:o after about 400 gal:cry:. line is 2500 ft long and the rat decided to chew it 35 ft up at the highest point. well that is fixed now so i go to start the vac yesterday am and dicovered the motor was still running but the pump was not turning. the pully was laying on the ground destroyed with the belts and the pump was locked up sucked a vane luckily it didnt gernade the shell, so my partner is going to get a vane set this am and hopefully will be back in buisness by noon.

christopherh
02-19-2012, 10:07 AM
Wow! hope you have everything up and running! Weathers lookin good this week!

tom jr.
02-23-2012, 05:22 AM
got everything back on line saturday afternoon. woods has been running steady but not hard vac has not shut off since tuesday running 24hg. boiled yesterday for a few hours made over 10 gal. still fancy, will finish today. made 17 gal. fancy saturday & sunday. looks like a re charge coming on friday night & saturday.

tom jr.
02-23-2012, 05:39 AM
just checked the thermometer on the house reading 28* looks like a little run today.

christopherh
02-24-2012, 07:35 PM
Collected another 275 gallons tonight, man it was windy!! Most of my buckets are now windsocks! I'll boil tomorrow, then start hot packing some syrup.

tom jr.
02-25-2012, 06:00 AM
Chris, your a brave soul gathering in the windstorm!! gotta do what you gotta do though. boiled another 400 gal yesterday for close to ten gal. should be at the 50 mark now. well I had plans of stringing another 30 some taps worth of tubing this weekend but was awakend by my wife at 5:00 this morning telling me "hurry up the living room ceiling is like a waterfall!!!!" shure as $*%t a lake in the living room! hot water pipe (cpvc) from upstars bathroom has failed I think i have a tree rat in the house cause the plumbing is only a month old!!!!!:o

GramaCindy
02-25-2012, 06:02 AM
Chris, your a brave soul gathering in the windstorm!! gotta do what you gotta do though. boiled another 400 gal yesterday for close to ten gal. should be at the 50 mark now. well I had plans of stringing another 30 some taps worth of tubing this weekend but was awakend by my wife at 5:00 this morning telling me "hurry up the living room ceiling is like a waterfall!!!!" shure as $*%t a lake in the living room! hot water pipe (cpvc) from upstars bathroom has failed I think i have a tree rat in the house cause the plumbing is only a month old!!!!!:o

Bummer way to spend your Saturday. Hope you find a quick fix.

christopherh
02-26-2012, 09:08 PM
Boiled another 275 gallons today, so far I'm at 16 gallons of light amber. Beautiful day today!

jhd504
02-27-2012, 07:47 AM
I had a good day on Saturday, boiling up 130 gallons. I'm still impressed with the amount of sap i can boil off with my set up after my experiences last year. I started the hobby last year with a 2x2 batch pan.

Hoping for a good sap collection week.

tom jr.
02-29-2012, 04:32 PM
not sutch a good time over here , my partner decided to use giant eagle gas for the vac pump yesterday. needless to say we got a whopping 350 gal this run cause that gas is garbge. well drained the gas this afternoon and got things going so hope to have 4-500 to boil tomorrow.

christopherh
02-29-2012, 06:36 PM
Tom, you're havin all the luck this year! Not a huge run over here. Things are pretty slow right now. Some of my Reds are running better than the Sugars.

mapleguy
02-29-2012, 07:25 PM
I'm just south of you in burton I pulled the plug on my tubing today syrup down to "B" I'm think I have an issue with tubing since it's all gravity will see what happens with buckets only a very disappointing season to say the least

christopherh
02-29-2012, 07:43 PM
Still plenty of time for the trees to recharge. Forecast is showing some good temps after this warm spell.