PDA

View Full Version : Aluminum Pot for Finishing

Spigot
02-01-2012, 07:28 PM
I'm just a hobby enthusiast that likes to make only a few gallons each year on a box stove with a ss hotel pan. I know everyone uses stainless but I have this older aluminum pot (thick) that I put a spigot on and wondering if there is a reason that I shouldn't finish off the syrup in this.

This is a great forum and very educational.

02-01-2012, 07:32 PM
Just don't leave it in there to long

spencer11
02-01-2012, 07:34 PM
First off, welcome to mapletrader!! But ibe heard not to use aluminum at all for boiling or storage of maple products(liquid). It eats away at the aluminum. That happened to me. It made the metal so thin and my propane burner burned a hole in the bottom. Mom wasent happy with the damage!

Spencer

jmayerl
02-01-2012, 08:21 PM
It will work fine just don't store it in aluminum for very long. I finished every night last year in a aluminum turkey fryer and it worked just fine.

DonMcJr
02-27-2012, 05:02 AM
Ok so after reading this I assume its ok to boil sap down on an aluminum turkey dryer pot?
If so thinks will go much quicker for me this weekend...:cool:

PerryW
02-27-2012, 07:33 AM
Ok so after reading this I assume its ok to boil sap down on an aluminum turkey dryer pot?
If so thinks will go much quicker for me this weekend...:cool:

In the old days, we used to finish our syrup on the stove top with a big aluminium pot. We did this for 6-8 years finishing 10-15 gallons per year in it.

happy thoughts
02-27-2012, 09:10 AM
There is no evidence that cooking in aluminum is harmful. The Alzheimer's Association doesn't even buy that old myth. It *is* a reactive metal so I think storing in aluminum could possibly leave an off taste, but other than that I wouldn't sweat it. The antacid you take for the heartburn you'll get worrying about it could give you a bigger dose of aluminum then you'll ever see in your syrup.

spencer11
02-27-2012, 09:45 AM
i was thinking about making a set of aluminum pans since its cheaper than stainless. it would be a 2x6 set with flue pan and syrup pan. would it be safe to use? i know a friend who welds aluminum and i could get it done real cheap. would they work? thanks

spencer

happy thoughts
02-27-2012, 10:02 AM
spencer- I really enjoy seeing you here:D It's nice to see young people involved in sugaring!

I'm sure aluminum would work but for the time and effort you're going to put into building the pan, I'd say save for the SS. You probably won't be sorry. SS will last a lifetime and in your case that should be a long, long time. You'll probably be repairing an aluminum pan before you know it. Since it's a reactive metal, pinholes may become a problem especially in thinner gauges. But that's just my 2 cents:)

spencer11
02-27-2012, 10:13 AM
i was defentaly leaning way more towards stainless. its not that much more expensive than aluminum. but with all the stuff in this business that you need the prices are crazy expensive, so i try and save where ever i can. so ill get stainless, and just weld it my self. thanks

spencer

maple flats
02-27-2012, 11:51 AM
I have had syrup finished in aluminum, my wife and I can both taste the aluminum. Some can't. I suggest you go get even a cheapo SS pot. I've had some from Big Lots and Walmart. Walmart now carries a much heavier pot in SS but if that doesn't fit your budget get a light weight thin one. The cheapest ones are made in china or India or other asian countries. Thin but they work.